I thought that I was clever in thinking to use a bunch of leftovers to create this Mexican inspired dish but then when I searched Google I realized it's been done before. But...this is my version of it and for a last minute on-the-fly meal it was pretty darn good and on the table quickly! I was surprised that I could just throw this together on my own and it didn't taste awful lol. This in my eyes was a test of my cooking abilities progress. I hope you enjoy it :).
Mexican Chicken Spaghetti
- 8 oz spaghetti noodles
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1-2 copycat chipotle chicken breasts, cubed (depending on how much chicken you want in this dish!)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with jalepeno peppers (or Rotel tomatoes)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 oz low-fat cream cheese
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare spaghetti according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- While spaghetti noodles are cooking, heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic, onions, and green pepper and cook until garlic is fragrant and onions are translucent.
- Add chicken to pan then add canned tomato. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to boil then reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and add cream cheese. Stir until throughly incorporated and melted.
- Add cooked spaghetti noodles to sauce and mix together until noodles are coated.
- Plate the pasta and then top with shredded cheddar cheese, if desired. Serve hot.