Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas Sandwich Cremes

I had some cream leftover after making the Caramel Apple Cheesecake Pie and even a Penne a la Vodka dinner so I decided to make some Christmas cookies.  Turns out that I had copied a recipe from Chris' mom that I liked and used cream so it was a perfect use of my leftover cream and leftover butter.  My favorite part about this cookie is how it's bite sized and it just melts in your mouth! 

I didn't have a rolling pin or a round cookie cutter/small glass so I ended up just rolling balls and smooshing them down.  They didn't end up being perfect looking for this reason but it makes it look more homemade :).  I brought a lot of the cookies to work for my co-workers to eat (so Chris and I wouldn't eat them all!).  They were gone by noon so I'd say the verdict is it was good!

Christmas Sandwich Cremes
Printer-Friendly Version






















Yields: 4 dozen cookies

Ingredients

COOKIES
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • Sugar
FILLING:

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • Food coloring
Directions

  1. In a small bowl, combine the butter, cream and flour. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
  2. Divide into thirds; let one portion stand at room temperature for 15 minutes (keep remaining dough refrigerated until ready to roll out). On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 1-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place cutouts in a shallow dish filled with sugar; turn to coat. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with a fork several times. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Cool on wire racks.
  3. For filling, in a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Tint with food coloring. Spread about 1 teaspoon filling over half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
Source: Country Woman November/December 1998, p40 as seen on Taste of Home and Mary Lynn's recipe box

No comments: