Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup

After making Roast Chicken for dinner I decided to save the carcass.  At first I intended to give it to my mom but I forgot to bring it when I went to visit over the weekend.  So, I decided I'd use it myself to create some Chicken Noodle Soup.  I started out with the intent of making Chris' Grandma B's recipe but then as I tasted the broth created by the carcass I decided it would be a shame to cover up all that wonderful natural chicken flavor with fake chicken.  This resulted in my winging the recipe (no pun intended).  Here's another original recipe.  Nothing like a steamy bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup to feed the soul!

Chicken Noodle Soup
Printer-Friendly Version














Ingredients
  • 1 picked over 3-4lb roasted chicken carcass with bits of meat and skin attached
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups chicken, cut into bite size pieces
  • Cold water
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 3-4 carrots, sliced
  • 3-4 stalks cerelry, sliced
  • 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp dried savory
  • 1/2 tsp celery salt
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 lb egg noodles
Directions
  1. Place chicken carcass in large stockpot.  Add enough cold water to cover the carcass.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer gently for at least 1 hour (longer for a stronger broth).  Discard bones and if desired, strain broth through a mesh sieve to remove smaller particles.
  2. Add remaining ingredients to stock pot and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.  Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
  3. In a separate pot, boil egg noodles according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.
  4. When ready to serve, put some noodles in a bowl and then ladle soup over the top.
Source: A Christine's Kitchen Chronicles Original

No comments: