Because it's still (literally) freezing out, I was excited to use my new grill pan that my husband got me for Christmas. It worked like a charm and created these gorgeous grill lines on the chicken. The only thing I'm not so sure about is how to clean it. I really should have oiled the pan first because I got some nice charred bits stuck to my now not-so-new and now extra-seasoned grill pan.
Now, it wasn't until I was sitting down to blog about this recipe that I made a *really* similar one many years ago. No matter, it didn't make this version any less delicious and it certainly fulfilled one of my cravings so thank you, Catherine!
Thank you to Sarah at A Taste of Home Cooking for being our awesome What's Cooking swap hostess and be sure to check out the rest of the group's collection in the blog hop, below. You never know what great recipes you'll find!
Two Years Ago: Swedish Meatballs
Open-Faced Chicken Feta Gyros
For the Tzatziki sauce
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 regular cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into slices
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whole wheat pita bread
- Fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (I like the cracked pepper variety!)
- Shred the cucumber. Wrap in a towel or cheesecloth and squeeze to remove as much water as possible. Mix together the yogurt, shredded cucumber, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, and lemon juice. For best flavor, allow the flavors to meld overnight.
- In a gallon sized zipper bag, mix together the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, Greek seasoning, oregano, salt and pepper. Add chicken slices and set aside. For best flavor, marinate overnight.
- Cut the chicken breast into slices and cook in a grill or fry pan over medium heat until cooked through.
- To assemble, place 1/2 of the whole wheat pita bread on the plate. Top with chicken, tzatziki sauce, feta cheese, diced tomatoes and sliced onions.