That's why I was so excited to find this recipe for hotpot. It's all the hotpot flavor that I love with a more immediate satisfaction. Sure, you lose the fun and socialization aspect but when there's just the two of us at home, I can deal with that.
The original recipe would have made an excellent Meatless Monday meal but since my husband is a carnivore, I added some shredded chicken and frozen dumplings. If I had fish, shrimp, or beef balls those would have likely made an appearance, too. Udon noodles are my favorite soup noodles but honestly, all I had on-hand was linguine so that's what we used this time. It's such a versatile recipe with a great base to get you started!
One Year Ago: Korean Style Short Ribs (Crockpot)
Three Years Ago: Chicken Palava (African Peanut Stew), Ragu a la Bolognese, and Look Alike Hostess Cupcakes
Spicy Tofu Hotpot
- 14 ounces firm tofu, preferably water-packed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (about 2 cups) (I used regular white mushrooms)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cups vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sriracha sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups thinly sliced tender bok choy greens
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 12-18 frozen Asian-style dumplings
- 8 ounces fresh cooked noodles such as lo mein, udon, or mei fun (I used linguine)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Cut the block into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook until slightly soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in sugar, broth, water, soy sauce and sriracha sauce; cover and bring to a boil. Add the dumplings and cook for about 3 minutes. Add bok choy, chicken, and tofu, cover and simmer until greens are wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked noodles remove from the heat and stir in cilantro.