Okay now that that's out of the way....yes, you read that correctly. I'm about to share a recipe that contains Metamucil. Now, before you go and judge this recipe (like my friend Toni...who I now dedicate this post to...) because it has Metamucil in it I will ask you to be open minded.
Ready? Is your mind opened? Okay, here goes nothing then. Yes, I've heard it all before from consumers. You're probably thinking "Grandma's laxative" and something along the lines of *ahem*...having digestive problems. Your experience in the past is a messy, gritty orange powder that when mixed with water turns thick and gloppy. But it comes in multiple flavors (Orange, Berry, Pink Lemonade) and there's a reason for that thick gelling behavior. That's what makes it so special and gives it its magical powers (view the video)! No big deal, it's a fiber supplement and everyone can benefit from added fiber. Did you know that the average American only gets 15g of fiber but really should be eating 25-38g every day??
Did you also know that Metamucil with psyllium fiber can do so much more for your health? In fact, that's why it's a MultiHealth fiber! Not only can Metamucil promote your digestive health+ but it can also help lower your cholesterol to promote heart health*+. It can do these things in a gluten-free (less than 20 ppm)*, low glycemic index*+ product. Now that's something to get excited about, right?! By the way, it also comes in single dose sachets so you can take it on-the-go as well as in convenient capsules (with or without added calcium) and delicious fiber wafers (They're kind of like cookies, really. Note: wafers do not provide the same heart health benefits as the powders and capsules). Or, if you really just can't stand the gelling/grit and just want to fill your fiber gap, there's Metamucil Clear and Natural for that.
Dr. Oz recently named Metamucil psyllium fiber as one of his 5 Simple Ways to Lower Cholesterol. As a cardiac doctor, he knows best, right? Oh and by the way, if you're a fan of Dr. Oz and/or Metamucil, register to win a Heart-to-Heart with Dr. Oz. You could be the lucky winner of a 3-day trip to NYC to have lunch with Dr. Oz and see a taping of his hit TV show.
Now to this smoothie recipe. Smoothies are a delicious snack to begin with but adding Metamucil can really boost the nutritional fiber content of a regular cup of juice. And, since smoothies have a little thickness and texture to them naturally, you can sip and enjoy. Metamucil provides a number of mixer recipe ideas on their website but you can always add a serving of Metamucil powder to your favorite smoothie recipe. (Just make sure you're adding at least 8 oz of liquid for every serving of powder.) For this recipe, I created a hybrid of the Pineapple-Orange Smash and Tropical Fruit Smoothie because I liked the fruits used in the first version but wanted the extra fiber and protein boost from the banana and yogurt. Bonus: No added sugar!
Personally, the Pink Lemonade flavored powder mixed in water is my favorite way to enjoy Metamucil but every once in a while a smoothie just hits the spot. It was the perfect post-Jazzercise snack.
So cheers and here's to your health! Enjoy the recipe and become one of the cool people that can rock the Meta :). It's okay, fiber is both hip and healthy!
* Psyllium fiber, as in Metamucil powders and capsules, is recognized by the FDA to treat occasional constipation and help lower cholesterol. Diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol that include 7 grams of soluble fiber per day from psyllium husk may reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering cholesterol. One adult dose of Metamucil has at least 2.1 grams of this soluble fiber. Use as directed. May contain trace amounts of gluten. If you have specific dietary needs, you should consult your doctor before consuming this product. This Metamucil product has a low glycemic index, a measure of the effect of dietary carbohydrates on blood sugar levels.
+THESE STATEMENTS HAVE NOT BEEN EVALUATED BY THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION. THIS PRODUCT IS NOT INTENDED TO DIAGNOSE, TREAT, CURE, OR PREVENT ANY DISEASE.
Metamucil Pineapple-Orange Smash Smoothie
- 1/3 cup (~3 oz) chopped pineapple
- 1/2 medium peeled banana
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) vanilla low-fat yogurt (used non-fat plain yogurt)
- 1/3 cup (~3 oz) orange juice
- 1/4 cup (~2 oz) pineapple juice
- 1 rounded tablespoon Metamucil Orange Smooth Texture or 1 rounded teaspoon Metamucil Sugar Free Orange Smooth
- Crushed or cubed ice (1/2 cup or 4 oz)
- Blend fruit, yogurt, juices, and ice until ice is crushed.
- Add Metamucil and blend until mixed in. Garnish with your favorite tropical fruit! Drink promptly (it will continue to thicken as it stands).
Source: Modified from Metamucil Mixers