Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Easiest White Bean Chicken Chili

It's getting a bit warm out for chili (it got up to the mid-upper 60s today!) but I assure you that when I made this a couple of weeks ago, it was a bit chilly out still so this meal was entirely appropriate.  The title isn't lying.  It is by far the easiest chicken chili I've ever made.  Easiest soup at all, for that matter.

The flavor was great but here's the the thing.  My cheese cubes didn't melt and disperse into the soup.  They stayed as softened/melted brown colored cubes of cheese which just weirded me out.  Maybe it was the type of cheese I used?  I don't know.  It was Kraft Pepper Jack Cheese in a block and I sliced it into cubes like the directions said I should.  Next time if I make this again, I'd probably shred the cheese instead in hopes that it just might go INTO the chili instead of staying separate.

The Easiest White Bean Chicken Chili
Printer-Friendly Version




















Ingredients
  • 3 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with chilis
  • 1 can corn
  • 1 tsp. cumin powder (optional for more flavor)
  • 1 tsp chili powder (optional for more flavor)
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
  • 8 ounces Pepper jack cheese, cut into 2-inch cubes (I'd shred them next time instead)
  • 2 cups salsa
  • Optional garnishes: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, sliced green onions, fresh cilantro, diced fresh tomatoes, crushed tortilla chips, extra salsa, tabasco/cholula hot sauce, etc.
Instructions

  1. Combine the beans, tomatoes, corn, cheese, spices (if desired), and salsa in a crockpot. Nestle the chicken breasts into the mixture, and cook on low 6-8 hours.
  2. Shred chicken breasts with a fork then stir to combine.  Serve with desired garnishes.
Source: Modified from Pink Parsley

No comments: