Sunday, December 6, 2009

Chinese Chicken Corn Soup

I don't cook much Chinese food even though I'm Chinese.  And, probably have mentioned it before that I don't even really like rice all that much...I guess you could say I'm a bit strange like that.  Anyway, this is a favorite of mine when we go to restaurants and since my family doesn't so much keep written recipes I was on my own for this one given some inspiration from the internet and my recollection of how it should taste.  I hope you enjoy this original.

Chinese Chicken Corn Soup
Printer-Friendly Version
























Cook Time: About 30 minutes
Yields: About 6 bowls?

Ingredients
  • 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 boneless chicken breasts
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 (14.75 ounce) cans cream-style corn
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 2 egg whites 
  • Green onions, sliced
Directions
  1. In a medium stock pot combine water, broth, and chicken.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat and add onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper.  Simmer about 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. 
  2. Remove chicken from pot and allow to cool slightly.  When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred or cut into bite size pieces.
  3. While the chicken is cooling, in a small bowl mix together the corn starch and about 1/4 cup of the broth.  Mix until no lumps remain and then add the cornstarch mixture to the stock pot.  Bring mixture back to boil and stir constantly until well mixed.
  4. Add the creamed corn and chicken pieces to the broth then season soup with sesame oil.
  5. Reduce heat and slowly add egg white while swirly the soup with a fork to break the egg pieces apart.  The eggs should cook and form strings similar to egg drop soup.
  6. Serve hot and garnish with green onions.  
Source: A Christine's Kitchen Chronicles Original

No comments: