Friday, December 11, 2009

Spicy Rapid Roast Chicken

I took the day off of work today because I had 7 vacation days left and only need 6 days to do the 2 full weeks of Holiday stretch.  This Friday happened to work better for me than next to take off and it also gave me the chance to do most of my Christmas shopping.  As I was running my errands and making a nice dinner I realized this is what it must be like to be a Homemaker/SAHM (Stay at Home Mom...without the kids part ha!).  It was kind of nice for a change of pace but I could see how it would wear its novelty out eventually.

For tonight's dinner, I chose to do a roasted chicken.  Kroger sells whole chickens for $0.88lb which makes it an inexpensive meal.  It was dee-lish!  And, it only took like an hour to cook which means with a little overnight prep, it could be a regular week night meal if we so choose.  Rapid roast, indeed!  I have quite of bit of meat leftover and was thinking of either making more chicken pot pie, chicken a la king, or Chinese congee (or jook as my family likes to call it).  I even saved the carcass...which I'll probably give to mom and have HER make me jook instead lol.

Spicy Rapid Roast Chicken
Printer-Friendly Version





















Prep Time: 15 Min
Cook Time: 1 Hr
Ready In: 1 Hr 30 Min
Yields: 8 Servings

Ingredients
  • 1 (3 pound) whole chicken
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
  2. Rinse chicken thoroughly inside and out under cold running water and remove all fat. Pat dry with paper towels.
  3. Put chicken into a small baking pan. Rub with olive oil. Mix the salt, pepper, oregano, basil, paprika and cayenne pepper together and rub underneath and outside chicken skin.
  4. Roast the chicken in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
  5. Lower the oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) and continue roasting 40 minutes, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C).
  6. Let cool 10 to 15 minutes and serve.
Source: Modified from All Recipes

No comments: