Photo credit goes to Sara at The Piggly-Wiggly Blog since forgetful me forgot to take my own again. I was just too excited to be eating it!
Other uses for Marinara Magnifica:
- 1 pound (16-oz) cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (about 1-1/2 cups), divided
- 1 pound ziti
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb spicy sausage roll
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 5 medium garlic cloves , minced
- 28-oz can tomato sauce*
- 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes*
- 1 tsp dried oregano*
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp sugar
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8-oz low-moisture mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1-1/2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cottage cheese, eggs, and 1 cup Parmesan; set aside.
- In a large pot, cook ziti until pasta begins to soften but is not yet cooked through, 5 minutes. UNDERCOOK THE PASTA! Drain pasta and leave in colander.
- Meanwhile, heat oil, sausage, onion, and garlic in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until sausage is cooked and onions are soft and translucent. Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and oregano then simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.* Remove skillet from theat then stir in ½ cup basil and sugar.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and heavy cream. Transfer to the pot which was used to cook the ziti and cook over medium heat. Bring to simmer and cook until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Remove pot from heat and add cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup prepared tomato meat sauce, and ¾ cup mozzarella, then stir to combine. (Mozzarella cubes won't be melted.)
- Add pasta to pot and stir to coat thoroughly with sauce.
- Transfer pasta mixture to 13- by 9-inch baking dish and spread remaining tomato sauce evenly over pasta. Sprinkle remaining ¾ cup mozzarella and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan over top. Cover baking dish tightly with foil (spray foil with cooking spray to prevent cheese from sticking) and bake for 30 minutes
- Remove foil and continue to cook until cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown, about 30 minutes longer.
- Cool for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons basil and serve.