Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mexican Chicken Spaghetti

As you know I've recently started Jazzercising.  This past week my workout buddies and I decided to do an impromptu class which resulted in my scrambling to make something to eat for dinner quickly vs. what I had originally planned. 

I thought that I was clever in thinking to use a bunch of leftovers to create this Mexican inspired dish but then when I searched Google I realized it's been done before.  But...this is my version of it and for a last minute on-the-fly meal it was pretty darn good and on the table quickly!  I was surprised that I could just throw this together on my own and it didn't taste awful lol.  This in my eyes was a test of my cooking abilities progress.  I hope you enjoy it :).

Mexican Chicken Spaghetti
Printer-Friendly Version




















Ingredients
  • 8 oz spaghetti noodles
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp garlic, minced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1/2 green pepper, diced
  • 1-2 copycat chipotle chicken breasts, cubed (depending on how much chicken you want in this dish!)
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with jalepeno peppers (or Rotel tomatoes)
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 4 oz low-fat cream cheese
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
Directions
  1. Prepare spaghetti according to package directions, drain and set aside.
  2. While spaghetti noodles are cooking, heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat.  Add garlic, onions, and green pepper and cook until garlic is fragrant and onions are translucent. 
  3. Add chicken to pan then add canned tomato.  Season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.  Bring mixture to boil then reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
  4. Remove sauce from heat and add cream cheese.  Stir until throughly incorporated and melted.
  5. Add cooked spaghetti noodles to sauce and mix together until noodles are coated. 
  6. Plate the pasta and then top with shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.  Serve hot.
Source: A Christine's Kitchen Chronicles Original

No comments: