Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Turkey Pumpkin Meatloaf Muffins with Cranberry Glaze

After much anticipation, here is the other recipe that I made with my coveted can of pumpkin puree.  This recipe was healthy which is a plus and decent in flavor.  Where it threw me off was in the texture, which was a little mushy.  Too soft and it fell apart as I was removing it from the tin.  I like my meatloaf to be more...meaty.  So, in the future I'd decrease the amount pumpkin used in the recipe and/or add more ground turkey.

By the way, this is the second recipe in a couple weeks (see Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Parmesan Muffins) that has called something savory and baked in a muffin tin a "muffin" versus a "biscuit".  I guess it's more common than I thought!  I think if I were to name this particular recipe though I'd call it a mini-meatloaf...I still resist on the muffin naming convention!

Turkey Pumpkin Meatloaf Muffins with Cranberry Glaze
Printer-Friendly Version




















Yields: 12 meatloaf muffins

Ingredients

For the meatloaf
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 8oz package mushrooms, chopped finely
  • 3 cloves of minced garlic
  • 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey breast
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tsp each minced fresh thyme and rosemary
  • Freshly ground salt and pepper
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
For the cranberry glaze*
  • 1 cup fresh cranberries
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
*Note: I couldn't find any fresh cranberries on my grocery trip so I bought a can of whole berry cranberry sauce and used that in place of the glaze.

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a standard 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the onions until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes more, until vegetables are tender. Add to a bowl with the turkey, pumpkin, egg white, oats, sage, salt & pepper. Toss gently to combine. Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin tin. Place in the oven, bake for 20 minutes.
  3. Combine cranberries, sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Spoon onto the meatloaf muffins, and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Source: As adapated by and seen on Cara's Cravings from Ashlee's Pumpkin Meatloaf with Cranberry Topping

1 comment:

mochichick said...

Oh goody! For the last two weeks that can of pumpkin in my cupboard has been looking at me wondering when I will use it. This morning I thought, "Maybe I'll make a turkey pumpkin meatloaf!" And here I am at your blog, just loving the idea of meatloaf muffins, turkey pumpkin no less!