By the way, this is the second recipe in a couple weeks (see Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Parmesan Muffins) that has called something savory and baked in a muffin tin a "muffin" versus a "biscuit". I guess it's more common than I thought! I think if I were to name this particular recipe though I'd call it a mini-meatloaf...I still resist on the muffin naming convention!
Turkey Pumpkin Meatloaf Muffins with Cranberry Glaze
Yields: 12 meatloaf muffins
For the meatloaf
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 8oz package mushrooms, chopped finely
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey breast
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp each minced fresh thyme and rosemary
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a standard 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the onions until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes more, until vegetables are tender. Add to a bowl with the turkey, pumpkin, egg white, oats, sage, salt & pepper. Toss gently to combine. Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin tin. Place in the oven, bake for 20 minutes.
- Combine cranberries, sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Spoon onto the meatloaf muffins, and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.