Thursday, October 8, 2009

(Sugary Sweet) Chili

It's about 64 degrees in the house and I'm cold but doing my best to hold out a bit longer before turning on the heat.  I know it's not getting any warmer (heck, it's still warmer in the house than it gets outside during the day) but I'm trying to conserve energy :).  Since Chris and I have yet to figure out how to get our gas fireplace to work (hints?), I'm making delicious winter standby foods to help warm the soul.  On the menu tonight was a traditional chili recipe that came from his mom but I modified to suit my tastes.  It was temperature hot, hardy, had a bit of kick (but not nearly as much as that white chicken chili!), and really hit the spot!

Winner of  

(Sugary Sweet) Chili
Printer-Friendly Version



Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or turkey
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 can Bush's chili beans in sauce
  • 1 (14 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
  • 1/2 packet reduced sodium chili seasoning
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • Black pepper
  • Siracha or other hot sauce
  • Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
Directions
  1. In a large cooking pot over high heat brown hamburger meat with chopped onion.  Drain grease.
  2. Add diced green peppers and chili beans with sauce.  Then add salt, sugar, pepper to taste, hot sauce to taste, and chili seasoning.
  3. Add cans of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, including juice.  Add tomato paste and then fill paste can with water and add 1 can (6 oz) water.
  4. Bring ingredients to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.  Simmer for about an hour.
  5. Serve hot and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, if desired.
Source: Modified from Momma N.

2 comments:

Nicole, RD said...

This was SO good!! Thank you!

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles said...

@Nicole - I'm glad that you enjoyed it! It's actually on my menu plan to make a pot today :).