What I loved about this recipe was how quickly you could put it together and how healthy it was. If you love the flavor of California Rolls but don't want the hassle of creating actual sushi rolls, this is the way to go. I could even see adding some chopped nori (seaweed sheets) to really get the full flavor experience. And why stop there? You could adapt this recipe as a vehicle to contain the flavors of any of your favorite sushi rolls!
One Year Ago: Homemade Girl Scout Samoa Cookies and Chicken, Blueberry, and Summer Squash Salad
California Roll Lettuce Roll-Ups
Yields: 4 servings (3 wraps each)
- 1 cup dry rice
- 2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 head (~12 leaves) Boston lettuce, leaves removed and washed
- 1/2 English cucumber, seeded and cut into 1-inch matchsticks
- 1/2 cup (about 2) carrots, shredded or cut into 1-inch matchsticks
- 5 oz surimi (imitation crab meat), cut into 1-inch matchsticks
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 3 Tbsp pickled ginger, chopped (optional)
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- Cook rice according to package directions. Once cooked, stir in the vinegar and then set aside.
- Assemble the lettuce roll-ups by layering several tablespoons of rice in each lettuce leaf. Then add 2-3 pieces of cucumber, carrot, crab, and avocado. Top with pickled ginger if desired and finish with a dash of soy sauce.
Source: Adapted by and as seen on PreventionRD from Good Housekeeping