This salad has a symphony of flavors. A tart, slightly sweet and light dressing that contrasts with fresh pops of blueberry along with the salt and cream of feta. It just works! I decided to add one more player to this harmonious dish because I had a small lonely red onion in my cabinet, too. Caramelized onions. They make the world go round. The other change I made was because I just am not a fan of raw squash. So, I lightly sauteed it before putting it on my salad.
I get it, October is officially Fall and it's pretty dang cold out but I'm hoping that you'll be able to try this one out with the last of your Summer veggies (or *gasp* buy in store off-season) or if not, bookmark it to make next year. Trust me, you don't want to miss out on this one!
Two Years Ago: Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
Chicken, Blueberry, and Summer Squash Salad
Yields: 4 servings
For the dressing:
- 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. honey (I added a little more because I prefer a more sweet dressing)
- 1/4-1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 4 packed c. preferred greens
- 3 tsp. butter or margarine, divided
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small summer squash, thinly sliced
- 2 TBSP fresh basil, cut chiffonade
- 2 c. cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1 1/2 c. blueberries
- 1/2 c. feta cheese, crumbled
- To make dressing, add lemon, honey, and olive oil to a small container with a lid. Close the lid tightly and shake vigorously until well mixed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Taste and adjust blend until desired amount of sweetness (add honey) or tartness (add lemon) is achieved. Put container into the refrigerator while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tsp butter or margarine then add onion. Cook until onions begin to caramelize and brown slightly. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, melt remaining 1 tsp butter or margarine then saute squash until lightly cooked. It will start to look translucent. Remove and set aside the squash.
- To assemble salad, divide greens among four plates. Top with squash, caramelized onions, basil, and chicken. Drizzle dressing over the top, then add blueberries and feta.
Source: Slightly modified from Apple a Day