When I was putting together the ingredients I was a bit surprised by the amount of ginger in it but it actually worked out fine and gave it a nice warmth. I added cinnamon to the topping and resisted the urge to use butter and flour in the topping (which is what I'd do with my typical crumble toppings) in order to stay true to the original recipe. I ended up taking it to work as a brainstorming session treat and it was well received. People told me it was the moistest bread they've ever eaten and kept coming back for more :).
See the full round-up of recipes at A Taste of Home Cooking
Need more Fall flavor and looking for more pumpkin treats on my blog? Try Turkey Bean Pumpkin Chili, Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, Pumpkin Pie Fudge, Pumpkin Fluff Dip, Amazingly Creamy Pumpkin Penne, Turkey Pumpkin Meatloaf with Cranberry Glaze
How about Apple (the other swap theme ingredient for the week)? Caramel Apple Cheesecake Pie, Asian Lettuce Wraps, or see my whole Dinner Club's Apple Themed Spread
Pumpkin Pecan Loaf
For the Bread:
- 1/2 cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Pumpkin
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/2 cup Pecans (omitted)
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup Pecan Pieces
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- Couple good shakes of Cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and coat a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- In a bowl, stir oil and sugar together with a spoon. Stir in eggs until blended. Add the pumpkin and the milk.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Add to the pumpkin mixture and stir well until combined. Stir in the pecans if using. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- In another small bowl, combine the topping ingredients until mixed and crumbly. Sprinkle the topping over the batter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to cool completely. Slice and serve.