There's something about the contrasting flavors and textures of this meal: crisp, cool lettuce versus the hot (and if desired, spicy) meat filling. Essentially, it's Asia's version of the taco. It's also great for low-carb dieters because there's no tortilla, just a lettuce cup holding all the meaty goodness inside.
Asian Lettuce Wraps
For the sauce:
- 1½ tsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. Sriracha hot sauce
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
- 2 cups mixed vegetables
- ½ green apple, finely chopped
- Butter lettuce leaves, washed and separated
- Shredded carrots for topping (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and mix to blend.
- To make the filling, heat a skillet on high heat with cooking oil. Once the pan is hot, add the garlic, ginger and green onions to the pan, and stir fry for a few seconds, just until fragrant. Add the ground turkey or chicken, breaking into small pieces, and cook until almost cooked through. Add the vegetables to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes. Mix in the sauce and cook for about 1 minute until thickened slightly. Add the apples to the pan and toss to coat. Immediately remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve the filling in lettuce “cups” and top with shredded carrots, if desired.