Sunday, July 10, 2011

Persian Turkey Kofta Kebabs

This post is for Linda, a girl that I met once through a mutual friend but as I learn more about her I find that she just might be my long-lost twin sister and hope that perhaps we'll get to know each other better.  She recently posted on her facebook that she created a recipe for kofta kebabs and I responded that I actually made some recently too (see the crazy twin thing happening, already?).  Kofta kebabs are essentially log-shaped meatballs on a stick and the flavor they punch are uniquely amazing!

While I have never gone to Persia, kebabs totally take me back to the time I spent in Turkey this Spring.  Turkey is an AMAZING country with beautiful sites (Ephesus is seriously the most well preserved antiquity site I've ever seen!), rich culture (Istanbul has so much to see that we only skimmed the surface in our two days), and best of all, fantastic food.  In every port of call that we had I devoured juicy kebabs, super fresh vegetables, and of course, Turkish Delights (honey pistachio was my absolute favorite!).

My husband and I eating lunch at a carpet making factory in Ephesus, Turkey
I don't remember what these were called but it was grilled meats (chicken, lamb meatballs) served with potatoes and rice pilaf.
A fresh salad served with dressing made of olive oil and lemon
I was *seriously* addicted to this stuff.  Green beans with tomatoes and garlic drizzled with very fresh olive oil.
Turkish greens with Greek yorurt
A variety of Turkish Delights at the Spice Market in Istanbul, Turkey.  They gave away free samples to try to get you to buy some and it was so addicting!
I'm fortunate that I found a local Mediterranean/Lebanese restaurant called Aladdin's Eatery to get my fill but it's nice to know that this is actually a very easy recipe to make at home when I get the urge to be taken back to the memories of our short time in Turkey.

I served my kofta kebabs with a spiced up Greek yogurt sauce (added a drizzle of honey, cumin, chili powder) but I think it would also be fantastic with Tzatziki sauce.  It was accompanied by a side of Tomato Basil Orzo, which I'll share tomorrow :).

One Year Ago: Sauceless Garden Lasagna
Two Years Ago: Chicken Parmesan Meatball Subs

Persian Turkey Kofta Kebabs
Printer-Friendly Version 

 Ingredients
  • 20 oz 93% lean ground turkey
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic. minced
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 2 tbsp bread crumbs
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp coriander
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • salt and fresh pepper (to taste)

Directions
  1. In a large bowl combine the ground turkey, onion, garlic, parsley, breadcrumbs, spices, salt and pepper until evenly blended. Divide into a heaping 1/4 cup portions so you get 12; roll into log shaped ovals. Place on a cookie sheet and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. If using wooden skewers, soak in water at least 30 minutes before grilling.
  2. When ready to eat, preheat grill to high heat. Carefully insert the skewer through the formed meat.  
  3. Grill for 10 to 15 minutes on indirect heat turning occasionally, until meat is no longer pink.
Source: Gina's Skinny Taste
  
Serving Size: 3 kebabs •  Old WW Points: 4 pts • WW Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 185.4 • Fat: 8.3 g • Protein: 22.9 g • Carb: 5.1 g • Fiber: 0.8 g • Sugar: 0.3 g
Sodium: 114.5 mg (without the salt)

No comments: