Tomato Basil Orzo Salad
Yields: 4 to 6 light-entrée servings or 8 to 10 side-dish servings
- 1 1/2 cups dried orzo pasta
- 1 1/4 pounds firm-ripe tomatoes, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- About 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
Source: Sunset Magazine as seen on Proceed with Caution
- In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 1/2 to 2 quarts water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until barely tender to bite, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse and core tomatoes; chop and place in a large bowl. Add basil, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar; mix gently.
- Drain pasta well and add to tomato mixture. Mix, adding parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Calories: 255 (32% from fat)
- Protein: 7.8g
- Fat: 9g (sat 1.8)
- Carbohydrate: 37g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Sodium: 74mg
- Cholesterol: 2.6mg