This dish is where worlds collide and have a balance of ying and yang. There's hot and spicy meat mixed together with crispy, cool raw vegetables. The lime gives it a fresh pop while the fish sauce gives it savory oomph. It has AMAZING flavor overall and is a bit unique to my tongue. The closest thing that I've eaten is Singapore Mei Fun (another favorite Asian noodle dish of mine!).
This dish is more meat than noodle but you can always adjust that to your tastes. Personally I've been advised by my doctor to make sure baby gets plenty of protein and am still watching my carbs because I reallyyyy don't want to develop gestational diabetes or have to deal with the glucose test again. That was awful!
I highly recommend you give this one a try if you're looking for something different!
One Year Ago: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls and Stuffed Crust Pizza
Three Years Ago: Slow Cooker Carnitas
Four Years Ago: Szechuan Chicken
Spicy Beef and Basil Vermicelli Noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef (really, any ground meat would work...I had turkey and pork so that's what I ended up using this time)
- 1 Tbs. Chinese 5-Spice (Start with this much but add more to taste if you like a spicier, more pungent flavor!)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. freshly minced ginger
- 3 Thai chiles, minced
- 1 zucchini, cut into a small dice
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into a small dice
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1 lime
- 3 oz vermicelli noodles
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook the vermicelli noodles in boiling water, then drain and rinse under cool water. Set aside.
- While the noodles are boiling, brown the beef in a medium skillet until cooked through. Drain most of the grease. Add the Chinese 5-Spice and a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté another minute. Add the garlic, ginger and chiles, sauté another minute.
- Add the zucchini and sauté another 2 minutes. Add the fish sauce and toss to combine. Add additional salt to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked vermicelli noodles, the beef mixture, diced red bell pepper, basil, parsley, scallions and a heavy squeeze of lime juice. Toss to combine. Serve with more lime slices if desired.