Today I'm sharing a sight to behold. It's no ordinary grilled cheese. It's an entree...no...it's a dessert. It's a grilled cheese DONUT!
Instead of bread, the cheddar cheese is sandwiched between two Krispy Kreme doughnuts. It's sweet, it's savory, it's one of the most amazing inventions ever. I like to use Krispy Kremes because they have the softest and fluffiest melt-in-your-mouth texture but any yeasted glazed doughnut will work. I'll admit I was pretty grossed out when I realized I was buttering a glazed doughnut but how else are you supposed to get that signature grilled bread texture?
The credit for the concept goes to Tom+Chee, a local Cincinnati joint that specializes in a menu of just grilled cheese and tomato soup! It's now nationally known after being featured on Man v. Food and Amazing Eats.
What's your favorite grilled cheese?
Also, have you entered my 4th blogiversary giveaway? 4 prizes at stake and the rafflecopter ends soon!
Two Years Ago: Banana Split Cupcakes and Chinese Steamed Fish
Three Years Ago: Blueberry Citrus Cake
Four Years Ago: Crockpot Turkey and Cake Balls (Truffles)
Grilled Cheese Donut
- Glazed doughnut (I prefer Krispy Kreme brand)
- Unsalted butter
- Sliced sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat a large skillet or griddle on the stove.
- Cut doughnut in half and lightly butter each side on the non-glazed surface. Place one doughnut half butter side down then top with a slice of cheese (on the glazed side) and then sprinkle with a crank of freshly ground sea salt (a small pink of regular salt will also work). Place the other doughnut half on top. The buttered sides should both be facing outward.
- Grill on heated skillet or griddle. Flipping and removing when desired doneness is achieved and cheese is melted.
- Enjoy hot!