I'll admit, I've been a slacker on not just blogging but also with Jazzercising lately. I used to try to blog about every 2-3 days but now I'm lucky to do once a week. I'm down to an average of 2 days per week Jazzing instead of my 3-4 that I was doing previously. I think prepping for and then going to DC for Easter weekend just threw off my rhythm. And then there's the whole getting ready for big Euro vacation and the nail biting with the Icelandic volcano whose name nobody can actually say. I hope that once vacation time is over I can ease back into my routine of not just cooking but also blogging about it in a timely manner and exercising more to make sure I don't pack on any extra pounds (especially after eating such delicious foods abroad!).
OK. Now back to the reason you're probably here - this slow cooker carnitas recipe. I remember when I cooked this meal (apparently on March 18th based on the photo timestamp) I was so impressed by how flavorful it was to cook. And better yet, it was way easy...like a good crockpot recipe should be! The slow cooked meat shredded easily and practically melted in your mouth. If you don't eat pork, no worries, I would not hesitate to use this same recipe on a different type of meat like chicken or beef because it was a serious fiesta of flavors in your mouth! In fact, I used beef this time because I had a 2 pound chunk already in the freezer that needed using up. The cumin gave the meat a nice smokey flavor and the citrus juice gave it some zip and brightness. Delicious and will definitely make again because I LOVE Mexican food :).
Slow Cooker Carnitas
Yields: 6 Servings
- 2 pounds pork shoulder (or equivalent of your choice of meat)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 large orange)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 7 cloves garlic (whole intact)
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- corn or flour tortillas
- toppings: sour cream, salsa, cheese, onions, bell peppers, sliced avocado, etc (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the salt and cumin. Rub mixture all over the pork, then put into a 6 quart slow cooker. Add whole garlic cloves. Squeeze on the citrus, and pour the beef broth evenly over the top.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until the pork shreds quite easily with a fork. Shred meat fully and serve on warmed tortillas with desired toppings.