Thursday, April 23, 2009

Szechwan Chicken

For the love of spicy food and as an (Americanized) attempt at making tribute to my Asian roots, I present Szechwan Chicken. It isn't as good as Aunt Bik's recipe at Wok Inn Express but Chris and I think it's good enough to be a keeper. It's a fast meal to prepare, too!

The funny thing about Asian food (especially my family recipes) is that there really aren't any recipes! They come from such an awesomely creative line of cooks that much of the cooking is done by visualizing and tasting. Honestly, the only family recipe that I have is for Almond Jello...and I don't even think it's a "family recipe"! Ah, if only I can get my family's delicious recipes in a form that I can follow and make on my own...maybe, just maybe, I'd like Chinese food even better!

Family - if you are reading this...PLEASE(!!!) post some family recipes so that I can carry on the legacy!!! At the top of my request list: Grandpa Ng's Char Siu (BBQ Pork) Buns, Turkey Jook (Congee), Beef Tomato Rice, Wonton Mein, Singapore Mei Fun (Curry Noodles), Almond Cookies, Bolo Bao (Pinapple Buns), Don Tat (Egg Custard), Grandpa Ng's sausage stuffing, Formosa/Wok Inn Express/Gourmet Wok Egg Rolls, Wok Inn Express Sesame Chicken (for Chris lol), Ali's Pear Torte...goodness, this isn't such a short list and I'm sure there are more! :)

Szechwan Chicken
(Source: Based on All Recipes)


PREP TIME 10 Min
COOK TIME 10 Min
READY IN 20 Min
SERVINGS 4

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 4 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/2 small onion, sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 cups mixed stir-fry vegetables, sliced/diced into bite-sized pieces (ex: zucchini, broccoli,
  • carrots, bell peppers, mushrooms, water chestnut, bamboo shoot)
  • 1 lb chicken breast, cut into thin strips
DIRECTIONS
  1. In a bowl, stir together water, ketchup, soy sauce, cornstarch, honey, crushed red pepper, and ground ginger. Set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in onions and garlic; cook 30 seconds. Stir in chicken and cook until outside is no longer pink. Add vegetables and stir-fry until vegetables are soft and chicken is cooked throughout. Stir in sauce. Cook and stir until sauce is bubbly and thickened.
  3. Serve with steamed rice.

No comments: