Monday, September 17, 2012

SRC: Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps

How's it going friends?  Miss me yet?  Unfortunately I'm not back quite yet but I do hope that you're enjoying all my wonderful guest posters so far (2 down, 4 more to go!).  I can't say it enough but they are making my life infinitely easier this month as I'm busily globetrotting in Asia for work.  They really are a great bunch of ladies with drool-worthy blogs, aren't they?

Anyway, it's time for another edition of Secret Recipe Club.  Has it really been a month already?  It seems what goes around, comes around because this month I received my fellow Jazzercising friend Joanna's blog, Cairns Manor.  For those who are facebook fans or that follow me on twitter, you might recognize her name because last month I gave her a shout out for being my SRC swap partner and making my Watermelon Slush.

As I perused her blog, I also considered Sriracha Macaroni Salad which I would have brought to our annual family Labor Day picnic...except it rained so there was none.  Another one that I'd like to try when I have more time is her Char Siu Bao.  If you've followed my blog for any period of time you'll know that this was my FAVORITE growing up and I was left with my Grandpa's original recipe on an old scrap of paper.  But when I made it, it just wasn't right to me.  So, I vowed that it would be the first trial of many in order to tweak the recipe and get it just right...but...I haven't done it any more trials yet.  D'oh!  Of course, I digress so back to this post.

Ultimately I ended up choosing these chicken fajita lettuce wraps.  Not only am I a fan of trying people's original recipes but I might just be obsessed with lettuce wraps lately what with my BLT Corn Salad Wraps, Chorizo and Sweet Potato Lettuce Wraps, Asian Lettuce Wraps, and not-yet-posted California Roll Up Lettuce Wraps!  Fajitas are one of my favorite Mexican foods so this was an awesome way for me to keep the Summery lettuce wrap theme going AND cut some carbs.  The flavor was very good and came together quickly though in the future, I'd probably only use a single lime instead of two.  It was a bit too limey (is that a word?) and tart for me.  Also, I didn't have any chipotle peppers on-hand so substituted 1/4 tsp of chipotle chili powder in the dry rub and added a few slices of minced jarred jalapenos.  Perfect level of spiciness and added smoky flavor!

As usual a special thank you to April of the blog Angel's Homestead, SRC ring leader and Debbi of the blog Debbi Does Dinner, our new Group C Hostess!

Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps


Ingredients
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite sized pieces
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • Several slices of jalapeno pepper, sliced (optional for added heat)
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • Lettuce leaves
  • Toppings as desired: diced tomatoes, avocados, cheese, sour cream, etc.
Directions
  1. In a plastic ziplock bag, add the onion powder, garlic powder, coriander, chipotle powder, salt, and pepper.  Add the diced chicken then seal and shake and squish the bag to combine.  Allow chicken to  marinate in the dry rub for about 30 minutes.
  2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked through.  Transfer to a plate and set aside.
  3. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan.  Add the onion and bell pepper and saute until just starting to get soft, about 5 minutes.  Add the jalapeno peppers, honey, and lime juice stirring to combine.  Bring to a light simmer and add back in the chicken, cooking until warmed.  Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Serve with lettuce and whatever toppings you like.
Source: Slightly modified from Cairns Manor

6 comments:

Melissa said...

This looks so fresh and tasty. Great SRC pick! :)

Jo said...

Ah ha! And I just got back from Jazzercise! I understand completely about the lime, I love it, so there will always be a little extra thrown in to suit me. Glad you liked the wraps though, we love them here!

Chelsy Ethridge said...

ooooo so fresh and healthy!

Veronica Miller said...

I love using lettuce in place of tortillas or bread-it works great! Your picture is just stellar-great job!

Teri said...

This looks so yummy.What a great choice! I love lettuce wraps1

Unknown said...

These look soooo good! I've never actually tried making lettuce wraps before, but I definitely need to get on it. Awesome pick for SRC!!