Thursday, August 8, 2013

Copycat McDonald's Sausage Egg McMuffins

Is anyone else a fan of breakfast?  How about Sausage Egg McMuffins from McDonald's?  I hardly ever eat at McDonald's but I LOVE their Sausage Egg McMuffins.  If I'm feeling really good, I'll even splurge on some hashbrowns.

When it came time to round-out my freezer stash with some breakfasts, I knew I wanted to try to make my own version at home.  What is about to follow is a copycat recipe but honestly, it's such an easy thing to make that I use the term "recipe" loosely.  If you want, you could also leave out the sausage or substitute Canadian bacon or regular bacon.

The hardest part was figuring out how to make a round egg "patty" like they do...because I'm anal and like everything to be round and match.  For that, I used what I had on hand and that was canning bands.  They were slightly smaller than the English muffins but close enough.  I experimented a bit on whether it was better to put them with the thread-side up or down.  In the end, threads up seemed to work better in terms of getting a better spray and containing the eggs (the picture below is from one of my earlier runs but I got better at avoiding spillage over time!).  If you greased your rings well, the eggs should fall out pretty easily but some of them required a little more oomph.  I just separated the crusty parts that stuck to the rings then pushed them out gently with my fingers.

These are totally yummy and I am so grateful to have about 2 1/2 dozen of them stashed away in the freezer. Having a good (and fast, one-handed) breakfast is the key to starting your day off right!

One Years Ago: BLT Corn Salad Wrap
Two Years Ago: Jerk Chicken with Mango Cilantro Relish

Copycat McDonald's Sausage Egg McMuffins


Copycat McDonald's Sausage Egg McMuffins

Ingredients
  • 12 English muffins
  • 12 slices American cheese
  • 12 fully cooked frozen sausage patties
  • 12 large eggs
  • Salt and pepper
Directions
  1. Place canning bands with thread side up into a skillet over medium-high heat (or if you have them or want to buy something fancy you can use something like these egg ring rounds).  Spray pan and inside of bands generously with cooking spray.

  2. Crack an egg into each band and sprinkle each with salt and pepper.  Use a knife to gently break each yolk so that it spreads out.  Don't worry if the egg spills out of the rings, if you're a perfectionist, you can peel or cut them off later.  Cover and cook through.  When eggs are done, remove the egg-filled ring using tongs and gently push the eggs out of the rings.  Set aside for assembly.

  3. Meanwhile, split your English muffin and place a slice of cheese on the top of each muffin half.  If desired, fold over each cheese corner so that it is the same size as the muffin.  Place a frozen sausage patty on the bottom of each muffin then top with a cooked egg round.  Put the two halves together to form the sandwich.
  4. Wrap each sandwich in square of deli paper wrap (or just use parchment paper).  
  5. To enjoy now: Microwave sandwich until sausage patty is cooked through, about 45 seconds to a minute.  To enjoy later: Place wrapped sandwiches into gallon sized freezer bags, squeezing out as much air as possible.  When ready to eat, microwave from frozen until heated through, about one minute to 90 seconds.  Flip the sandwich halfway through cooking for more even heating.
Source: Christine's Kitchen Chronicles as inspired by McDonald's

5 comments:

Carole said...

Hi Christine, just popped over to let you know that your link to Food on Friday: Corn was featured in my Need Some Inspiration? Series on Carole's Chatter today. Cheers

Unknown said...

When you reheat in microwave from frozen, do you leave them wrapped or just microwave them on a plate? Thanks, these sound yummy!

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles said...

Hi Margo - Sorry for the delay in response. I'm a bit busy caring for my son born about a week ago :). I leave them wrapped up AND put it on a plate. I find it helps to catch any cheese that might ooze out. Enjoy!

Jim Dennis said...

Christine, Have you discovered yet that if you freeze these for any length of time that the egg component will turn to "yuck"? I strongly recommend not making your egg(s) until serving. Frying is not necessary...grab a properly sized round ramekin, spray inside with "pam", crack an egg, poke the yoke, cover with a paper towel, and microwave for about two minutes. Much better. In fact, waiting to add the cheese until reheating will also improve the quality of your knockoff. Enjoy.

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles said...

Jim Dennis - I haven't had any trouble with the egg turning to "yuck". I'm finishing off my original batch now and it's about 4 months old without issues. The only problem I have been having is sometimes I need to reheat for longer to get everything fully hot. While I would LOVE to cook the egg and cheese fresh every time I simply don't have the time (or hands!) with baby now in tow. Heck, these days I'm lucky to be able to even microwave and eat this already fully assembled :). Thank you for the suggestions, though!