If you are in a pinch, you can make this meal in advance so that it's ready to be thrown on the grill or into the oven at moment's notice. The relish would be great on other meats such as regular grilled chicken or an accompaniment to fish, used as taco toppings or even as tortilla dip!
One Year Ago: Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake - if you make this you're in for a treat because it's one of my favorite coffee cakes ever!
Two Years Ago: Grands! Taco Melts (AKA Homemade Hot Pockets) - change up the fillings for variety!
Jerk Chicken with Mango Cilantro Relish
For the Chicken
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 scallion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, stem and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme (used 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 4 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
- 4 drumsticks, skin on
- 2 mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- To make the Chicken: Puree all the ingredients, except the chicken, in a food processor until almost smooth. Piece the chicken with a fork to make tiny holes. Place the chicken in a large shallow baking dish and rub the marinade into the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours, depending on how intense you want the flavor to be.
* To make ahead/freezer meal - Prepare the chicken as directed above and place in a gallon sized freezer bag to marinate. Seal and freeze chicken. When ready to prepare the chicken, defrost completely and following the cooking directions for either the grill or oven.
- To grill - preheat grill. Grill chicken on each side for 5 to 6 minutes or until cooked through.
To bake - preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken on baking sheet lined with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 160 degrees.
- To make the Relish: Combine the mangoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and orange juice in a bowl and gently mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper. This relish can be made ahead.