Sunday, August 14, 2011

Recipe Swap: Baked Squash

I was excited by this week's recipe swap because the theme was Summer Vegetables.  Surely whatever recipe I got would utilize vegetables that I would get in my CSA share sometime during the two week swap duration.  I waited, and waited and sadly no zucchini came my way.  So, when the rubber hit the road, I decided to modify this recipe and use the beautiful yellow summer squash that nature blessed me with instead.

This recipe was fresh and delicious with all the flavor of summer.  I loved how everything I used in this recipe came from my CSA share with exception of the cheese and breadcrumbs.  Next time I get zucchini, I'll try this recipe in its original form for sure :).

I submitted Summer Corn and Vegetable Soup which was received by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks.  Check out the rest of the fresh veggie round-up at A Taste of Home Cooking.
Baked Squash
Printer-Friendly Version

  • 1 1/2-2 pounds Yellow Squash or Zucchini
  • 1 tablespoon Oil or Butter
  • 1 medium Onion, chopped
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 4-6 Basil Leaves, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dry basil)
  • 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs (or cracker crumbs)
  • 2-3 ounces Feta, crumbled (omitted)
  • Handful of Parmesan Cheese
  • Tomatoes, sliced (omitted - I had already used my share of tomatoes in a different dish)
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste
  • Extra Melted Butter (optional)
Directions
  1. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and place cut side up in an 8x10 baking pan.  
  2. Saute onion, garlic, and basil in the butter/oil for a few minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste.  Add bread crumbs and blend.  
  3. Meanwhile, slice tomatoes and place the slices on top of the zucchini.  Sprinkle the top with feta and Parmesan cheese.  Cover with the bread crumb mixture and drizzle with extra melted butter over the top (or a drizzle of olive oil).
  4. Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for about 1 hour.   If the zucchini is not tender by then, cover the pan with foil and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.  Allow the zucchini to cool and slice.
Source: Modified from Fried Ice and Donut Holes

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm glad you liked this recipe! It is probably one of my favorite ways to eat zucchini. I'm glad you were able to use your CSA vegetables, too!