Friday, June 29, 2012

Recipe Swap: Pulled Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches

I'm on a roll, folks!  This week's recipe swap theme was Burgers/Sandwiches.  As usual, visit A Taste of Home Cooking for the full round-up!

I submitted Pork Sandwiches with Cilantro-Jalapeno Slaw and received these awesome Pulled Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches from one of my favorite bloggers, Nicole at Prevention RD.  Seriously, if you haven't already checked out her site yet, you should.  It's one of my go-to blogs for when I want something a bit healthier and I LOVE that she calculates all the nutrition stats for you.  Oh, and I should also mention that Nicole deemed my (Sugary Sweet) Chili entry the champion of her 2nd Annual Chili Contest which I am completely honored by :).

As for this recipe, it totally met and exceeded my husband and my expectations.  At first I grumbled a bit at the fact that it used grilled chicken (I, like Nicole, assumed the pulled chicken would be a la crockpot like all other pulled meat recipes) and considered slow cooking it instead.  But don't do it.  The grilling adds a wonderful char-grilled smokey flavor that makes this sandwich unique and it's worth the extra effort.  It made a lot so we had the leftovers for lunch in wraps.  This would be a perfect addition to your 4th of July or other summer BBQ.  Classic enough for a traditional BBQ but different enough to surprise and delight.  Great stuff!

Heads up to my readers - by the end of next week, look for my first official product review and a sponsored BLOG GIVEAWAY!  If you're not already, follow me on Facebook or Twitter for an early hint of what it could be ;).

One Year Ago: Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes
Two Years Ago: Firecracker Shrimp (mmm...Sriracha!!)
Pulled Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches


Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup Heinz 57 sauce
  • 1 20-ounce can pineapple rings in natural juices
  • 2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
  • Tabasco sauce, to taste (I used my favorite Asian condiment, Sriracha!)
  • 4 5-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • non-stick cooking spray
  • Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
  • 5 whole wheat buns or sandwich rolls
Directions:
  1. Heat grill to medium heat. Place one ring of pineapple into a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add the Heinz 57, honey, and a couple of dashes of 
  2. hot sauce to the blender/food processor and combine. Remove 3 tablespoons of sauce to use for basting and reserve the rest for serving.
  3. Spray the pineapple rings with non-stick spray and place on the grill. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, until the sugars start to caramelize and nice grill marks have developed.
  4. Pound chicken breasts lightly to reach an even thickness. Brush the Hawaiian sauce on one side of the chicken breast. Place on the grill sauce side down and cook until internal temperature reaches 170F (about 6-8 minutes), flipping halfway through. Before flipping the chicken, baste with the remaining Hawaiian sauce.
  5. Remove chicken and pineapple rings from the grill when done. Let chicken stand for 5-10 minutes before shredding with two forks. Add the chicken to a bowl and toss with the remaining Hawaiian sauce. Divide the pineapple rings and Hawaiian chicken between the 5 buns/sandwich rolls and serve warm.
Source: Originally from Confections of a Foodie Bride as submitted by Prevention RD

4 comments:

Nicole, RD said...

Yay! I'm so glad you BOTH enjoyed it! And I am still lusting after your chili! A WINNER recipe, for sure :) Thanks, hun...TGIF!

katie said...

I love pineapple in the summer. I have never had Heinz 57 sauce, so I am interested in trying these.

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I'm glad you both liked these. Grilled pineapple is so good!

Thanks for being part of the recipe swaps!

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles said...

@Nicole, RD - Thanks again for sharing this recipe!

@Katie - I had not either until this recipe. It's actually quite good. A nice bold flavor and wayyyy better than A1 steak sauce.

@The Home Cook - Thank you for organizing the swaps, as usual! I really appreciate it and love trying food from new blogs and seeing what people thought of the recipes I submit.