Friday, June 15, 2012

Recipe Swap: Oven Baked Sriracha Chicken

I'm back at the biweekly recipe swap thing!  I couldn't be happier to re-join for the very popular Blogger's Choice theme.  I was excited to receive the blog So Tasty, So Yummy for this swap.  A lot of the recipes she blogs are things that usually end up on my Google Reader, anyway so this was a win.

I chose this particular recipe because it includes some of my favorite condiments - Hoisin sauce (the equivalent of barbecue sauce in the Asian world and famously used to accompany Peking Duck) and Sriracha (the ever popular Thai hot sauce with a rooster on the bottle).  If you don't have these sauces, don't fret.  They're easily found in the Asian section of your grocery store since they're staples of every good Asian kitchen :).

Overall I was pleased with the flavor that this gave to the chicken and the nice carmelized look that the skin had coming out of the oven.  But, even after I chose to add an overnight marination step, I desired a more intense flavor to the meat itself.  Don't get grossed out but I actually sucked on the chicken skin to savor the flavors more deeply lol.  In the future, I would probably just do boneless, skinless chicken breast (or better yet, kebabs on the grill!) to better suit my husband's and my tastes.  Maybe even serve some extra sauce on the side for dipping.  Yum!

Checkout the roundup at A Taste of Home Cooking to see what everyone else cooked up this week!

Oven Baked Sriracha Chicken


Oven Baked Sriracha Chicken

Ingredients
  • 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced greens and minced whites
  • ¼ cup Hoisin sauce
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced 
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce 
  • 4 chicken thighs
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. 
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the minced whites of the green onions, Hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic, lime juice, oils, and the Sriracha. Toss each thigh in the sauce, coating thoroughly.  If desired, marinate in the mixture overnight.  Before baking, spoon the remaining sauce underneath the chicken skin.
  3. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, turning halfway through baking. Serve topped with green onions and sesame seeds.
Source: Slightly modified from So Tasty, So Yummy

9 comments:

Lishie said...

Looks so good!

katie said...

Glad you enjoyed it! I will have to try marinating it overnight next time I make it.

Dawn said...

Yum! These look good!

kylee said...

I'm totally making this.
STARRED in the google reader!

Jessica @ Sunny Side Up said...

I was pretty disappointed when we moved to China and I couldn't find Sriracha sauce at ANY of the stores! I left a huge bottle of it at home figuring I could find some here. Good news is we have a friend heading back to the states soon, think we'll ask him to bring us a bottle back! This chicken sounds awesome!

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I can almost taste the sauce on the chicken. Looks great!

Thanks for being part of the recipe swaps.

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I can almost taste the sauce on the chicken. Looks great!

Thanks for being part of the recipe swaps.

Debra Eliotseats said...

Just checking out more recipes after the rush of SRC. We love Sriracha and this might make the dinner table tonight! (At least this weekend, definitely!)

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles said...

Thank you everyone for stopping by and leaving your kind comments! It makes the experience so much more rewarding :).

@Jessica - I can't believe there's no Sriracha sauce in China? How do you live?! Glad you'll get a supply soon and maybe check online grocers..Amazon maybe?

@Debra - Let me know how it turns out!