Monday, February 15, 2010

Honey Mustard Sauce

This sauce is very versatile.  I made it to accompany my Ham, Cheese, and Green Pepper Pretzel Bites which were brought to my Uncle's Super Bowl Party and it found second life as a dip for Pretzel Chicken Tenders later in the week for dinner.  It'd also be great over a salad, as a spread for sandwiches (my cousins made various cold cut sandwiches for the party and people ended up using the sauce for this application, too!) or as a dip for regular soft pretzels.  It really gives dishes that special sweet n spicy creamy zip.

I don't think I have to remind you that Chris HATES mustard...and mayonnaise for that matter.  The sight and smell of it literally makes him want to vomit...or at least that's what he tells me.  Thankfully, we've never had any issues and since it's a side (optional) dip he doesn't have to partake.

This recipe was modified from Ms. Paula Deen, who by the way is coming to Cincinnati for a special cooking show.  You can have dinner with her and/or go to a cooking demo.  How cool is that?!  Anyway, for this recipe I subbed dijon mustard for the yellow and removed the horseradish (figured the dijon would have that needed zip).  I also didn't need to use any of the orange juice but depending on the consistency you are going for you may decide you want/need to add some.  Oh yes, and there is 1 step to this recipe.  It doesn't get much easier than that!

Sorry this picture is so shady.  I snapped one of it near the end of the night.  I can't say it was ever that pretty to begin with but since it was heavily used it got drippy all over the bowl haha.

Honey Mustard Sauce
Printer-Friendly Version
























Prep Time: 5 minutes
Chill Time: 2 hours
Ready In: 2 hours 5 minutes
Yields: 1 1/4 cups

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or juice from 1/2 lemon)
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice (more or less as needed)
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients except orange juice; stir well. Thin to pouring consistency for dressing or dipping consistency for dips with orange juice. Cover and chill for 2 or 3 hours.
Source: Modified from Paula Deen

2 comments:

Jes said...

PAULA DEEN in Cincinnati?!?!?! I freaking love her..too bad we have plans to be in Nashville that weekend =(

I love this recipe too!

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles said...

Yeah! I've seen it advertised several places now. Don't think we'll end up going but neat that she's coming here. Maybe you can catch her somewhere else nearby on tour?