When you get over the fact that this is a non-traditional pizza without any sauce and instead think about the ingredients it does have, it starts to make a lot of sense. Brie and apples aren't anything out of the ordinary. Sausage is always delicious. And pumpkin pizza crust? Just a small departure from pumpkin bread. Starting to warm up to the concept already, aren't ya? :)
I have to say that I truly fell in love with this pizza. It has a subtle pumpkin flavor but you can tell it's there by the fun slightly orange color of the dough. I'm actually starting to formulate a dessert pizza in my head using this crust...
Melty brie. Need I say more?
Sweet apples and salty sausage meld together to form this unique glaze-like "sauce" on the crust. And then to finish, instead of arugula I added some fresh sage which left me wanting more with every bite.
It was really quite a delicious Fall treat! This pizza could make a great Thanksgiving appetizer (cut into smaller rectangular pieces a la Donatos pizza style) or dinner entree. Please give this one a try. You won't regret it!
One Year Ago: Spicy Garlic and Ginger Chicken with Green Beans and Smoked Macaroni and Cheese
Two Years Ago: Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes
Four Years Ago: Spinach, Sausage and Cheese Manicotti
Apple, Brie, and Sausage Pizza on a Pumpkin Crust
For the Pumpkin Pizza Dough
- 1 1/2 tsp yeast
- 3/4 cups warm water (~110 F), divided
- 5 TBSP + 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups pumpkin puree
For the Pizza
- Corn meal
- 4 baking apples such as Fuji, Honeycrisp, or Granny Smith
- 4 oz brie
- 2 spicy Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 4-6 fresh sage leaves, rubbed and chopped chiffonade
- In a small bowl, proof the yeast by combining it with 3/8 cup warm water and brown sugar. Let sit for about five minutes or until it starts foaming.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine butter, salt, and the remaining 3/8 cup water. Heat until the butter melts. Let it cool until warm, but not hot.
- Pour butter mixture into the yeast mixture and then into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix the pumpkin puree into the yeast and butter mixtures. Then mix in the bread flour. Using the bread hook attachment, mix the dough on speed 2 for 10 minutes. Cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise in a warm place until doubled, about one hour.
- Preheat oven to 500. Sprinkle some corn meal onto pizza pan.
- After dough has risen, flour it and shape into a ball. Stretch into desired size and shape. Place on prepared pizza pan. Bake for 3-4 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat, crumbling it up using a spatula. Cut apples into thin slices. Layer onto pizza. Next layer slices of brie onto the pizza. Sprinkle with turkey sausage.
- Bake assembled pizza for 10-12 minutes or until bottom of dough is starting to get brown.
- Garnish with fresh sage and serve.