Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes
Yields: 4 Servings
- 2 pounds potatoes, washed, peeled, cubed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup hot milk
- 2 Tbsp parsley, finely minced
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Garlic (optional, roasted or raw)
- Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Put prepared raw potatoes into a large pot and submerge in water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat butter until it begins to bubble. Add sliced onions and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and browned.
- Transfer half of the onions and all of the milk to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Mash the potatoes and stir in the hot onion milk. Add a little extra butter and check the seasoning. Stir in the remaining caramelized onions and the minced parsley. If desired add garlic and parmesan cheese for a boost of flavor.
Source: Kayotic Kitchen