This is very rich and very cheesy as the name promises! I decided to leave out the extra cup of shredded cheese in the pasta sauce because I was concerned it'd be too much (crazy considering how much I LOVE cheese) and it was still plenty cheesy. This is essentially homemade Hamburger Helper. Yum!
This week I submitted a recipe that I received in a previous swap: Pierogi and Kielbasa Bake. The Cookaholic Wife had made a very similar version previously and her husband liked the recipe even more WITH my addition of the veggies! See the full round-up at Taste of Home Cooking.
By the way, I think I'm officially going to try to make Fridays a series of posts: Fast Fridays. Meals that you can make in 30 minutes or less. What do you think? And, any great recipes to share so I can build my repertoire?
Cheesy Chili Mac
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp Chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 cups Water
- 1 15 oz can Tomato sauce
- 2 cups Pasta (I used about 3 cups Penne since noodles are bigger and so they don't pack as well)
- 1 15 oz can Black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, drained (used diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers)
- 4 oz Cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups Shredded mexican cheese blend (I used a sprinkling of sharp cheddar)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat a 12" skillet over medium heat and add oil. Heat until shimmering. Add the onion, chili powder, cumin, and salt to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently until the onion is soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and brown sugar and cook an additional 1 minute. Add the ground beef and cook through.
- Stir in the water and tomato sauce then add the pasta and stir again. Cover and increase heat to medium-high. Cook until al dente, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes and black beans, then the cream cheese and stir until the cream cheese is incorporated.
- Remove the pan from the heat and for extra cheesiness, add 1 cup of shredded cheese. Stir until combined. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and cover. Let stand for 2 minutes until the cheese has melted. Top with cilantro and garnish with sour cream, if desired.
Source: Adapted from Jey of Cooking