Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Recipe Swap: Banana Sour Cream Pancakes

If you're a lover of pancakes or just breakfast in general I highly encourage you to check out this week's recipe swap recap at A Taste of Home Cooking.  There were copious amounts of pancake recipes that were submitted along with a few other delicious goodies!  Breakfast for dinner?  Yes please.

Originally Jey submitted her Baked Eggs in Pastry Puff recipe for me to make but realized that this egg prominent dish would be a no-go with Chris.  Though I had planned on making it for myself and then making him something separate Jey was kind enough to swap out this pancake recipe for me to make instead.  It was yummy and quick to make (as is the beauty of breakfast foods!) though I think I was expecting a fluffier texture to be imparted from the sour cream.  I left out the lemon zest because I forgot to get a lemon from the store but did use some bottled lemon juice instead.  Next time, I think I'll either use more ripe bananas or more sugar because I'm used to my pancakes being sweeter than this was.  Another possibility would be to use non-lite syrup ;).

Oh, and in case you're wondering, I submitted these French Toast Cups with Sausage and Apples.  Mmm!

Two Years Ago: Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce

Banana Sour Cream Pancakes
Printer-Friendly Version



Yields: 12 pancakes

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 Cups Flour
  • 3 Tbsp. Sugar
  • 2 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
  • 1/3 Cup Sour Cream
  • 3/4 Cup plus 1 Tbsp. Milk
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla
  • Zest of 1 Lemon (omitted)
  • 2 Bananas, diced
Directions:
  1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.  In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest.  Slowly add the dry mix to the wet ingredients and mix to combine, then stir in bananas.
  2. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Spoon batter into the pan to make 3 or 4 pancakes and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Flip and cook an additional minute.  Continue, working in batches, until all batter is used.  Serve with sliced bananas and maple syrup. 
Source: Slightly adapted by and as seen on Jey of Cooking from Ina Garten on the Food Network

No comments: