I have a cousin that is OBSESSED with Panera. I'm talking every time she is in a city that has one it is on her "to do" list. Sure it's a chain but who can blame her? They do have really delicious food and chains provide great consistency no matter where you go.
This recipe is being dusted off from the archives. It sat in the deep dark recesses of that black box that is my husband's computer hard drive for over a year before seeing the light of day again right here, right now. You see, this time last year I was making lots of food but was lazy about blogging. And then by the time I got time to blog, it just didn't worth doing so because the season had already changed.
Ah seasons. This salad TOTALLY captures the spring/summer season. It embodies all that is good about the bountiful seasonal fruits and veggies. It is also inspired by my cousin's favorite restaurant, Panera. Please go make this salad today. It's a beautiful display of color bursting with natural sweetness and filled with nutrition!
Two Years Ago: Pasta Salad - This one ALWAYS gets gobbled up when I bring it to a party!
Summer Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. minced shallot
- ¼ tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 tbsp. light mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 6 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp. poppy seeds
- Romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- Strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Mandarin orange segments
- Fresh pineapple, cubed
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the vinegar, sugar, shallot, dry mustard, salt, mayonnaise and orange juice. Process to blend well. With the feed tube open and the processor on, add the vegetable oil in a steady stream and continue processing until incorporated. Add the poppy seeds and pulse briefly just until blended. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the salad, chop the lettuce into bite-size pieces. Plate individual servings of the lettuce in salad plates. Top each serving with strawberries, blueberries, mandarin oranges and pineapple cubes as desired. Drizzle lightly with the poppy seed dressing and serve immediately.