Let's just say that this is one sweet treat and hey, you get your calcium from all the milk ;). I have a love/hate relationship with the milk-soaked texture of the cake. On one hand its super moist because it's drowned with three milks. On the other hand, it's a little mushy...almost like it's...regurgitated.
I'd hate to leave you with that lovely thought so how about a fun picture of Pepto-Bismol with a sombrero on its head riding its trusty rainbow colored pinata and a crunchy taco by its side in case hunger strikes. Am I the only one that is amused by Pepto-Bismol's ever changing profile pictures? Love!
Two Years Ago: Avocado, Tomato, and Mango Salsa - Another perfect accompaniment to tortilla chips or use to top tacos, fish, or chicken.
Tres Leches Cake
|Yes, that's an Argentina flag and not Mexico but I'm recycling a recipe that I made for our Olympics Themed Dinner Club last fall in which I was representing South America :).|
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter or margarine and the 1 cup sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs and the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract; beat well. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture 2 tablespoons at a time; mix until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.
- Once cake is cooked, pierce cake several times with a fork. Combine the whole milk, condensed milk, and evaporated milk together. Pour over the top of the cooled cake.
- Whip whipping cream, the remaining 1 cup of the sugar, and the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla together until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to overbeat. Spread over the top of cake. If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon. Be sure and keep cake refrigerated until ready to enjoy!