Sunday, April 3, 2011

Fish Tacos

One fish, two fish.  Red fish, blue fish.  Okay...I'm no Dr. Seuss and this is actually a white fish.  A little white fish that has taken the food blogging world by storm.  Why it's taken me so long to try I do not know.

It's light and fresh.  Perfect for the weather as it begins heating up and/or if you're needing some easy family-pleasing seafood recipes for lent.  I feel like most Americans really only know one kind of fish.  Fish sticks fried to a golden crisp and served with a big side of tarter sauce for dipping.  Or, maybe you're like Cincinnati and have a bazillion Fish Frys on Fridays during lent.  No shame in that.  I'll admit I kind of like fish sticks and even McD's Filet-O-Fish...but...the friedness and tarter sauce, though yummy, are not so healthy.  Good thing I only eat them once in a blue moon.
This recipe will expand your fish horizons and it's healthy enough to eat without shame.  It's not fried and there is no tartar sauce (*gasp*).  Speaking of, I personally I am in love with the sauce in this recipe.  But then again, I'm a cilantro lover.  Yum!  The flavor reminds me of the uber delicious fish tacos that I got at Maui Taco when I was in Hawaii last year.  Ahhh...Hawaii.  Let's leave this post with that thought in mind.  *cue ukulele*

One Year Ago: Berry Buttermilk Cake.  Wow I'm glad this popped back up because I just so happen to have some leftover buttermilk to use AND last year when I discovered this recipe I made it twice in a single week.  Yep, it's that good!

And hey, did you remember to enter my 2nd Blogiversary Givaway yet?  If the drawing were today you'd have about a 1 in 30 chance of winning your very own AUTOGRAPHED Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook!  I'd say those are some pretty good odds :).  But don't drag your heels too long.  Contest ends at 11:59PM this Friday!
Fish Tacos
















Ingredients

For the fish

  • 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • 3 Tbsp. minced cilantro
  • 1/4 tsp. cumin
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb. white fish (halibut, cod, tilapia, etc.)
  • Salt
For the cilantro cream sauce
  • Juice of 1/2 lime
  • 1 Tbsp. cilantro, minced
  • 1/3 cup nonfat greek yogurt
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • Pepper, to taste
For serving
  • Cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • Green onions, chopped
  • Red cabbage, shredded
  • avocado slices
  • 6-inch flour tortillas
Directions
  1. Combine the lime juice, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, cilantro, cumin, and garlic in a shallow dish.  Whisk together until well blended.  Place the fish in the mixture, turning to coat.  Let marinate 15-30 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, prepare the cilantro cream sauce.  Combine the lime juice, cilantro, greek yogurt, garlic and pepper in a small bowl.  Mix until well blended.  Refrigerate until ready to use.
  3. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
  4. Place the fish in the pan and cook without disturbing for about 3 minutes.  Flip the fish and cook on the second side 2-3 minutes more.  (Cook until fish reaches 130 degrees)
  5. Remove to a plate and season with salt and let rest for a few minutes.  Shred the fish into bite-sized pieces with two forks.
  6. Assemble tacos on flour tortillas with shredded fish, cilantro cream sauce and toppings as desired.
Source: As seen on Christine's Cuisine, Annie's Eats, and it all began with The Way the Cookie Crumbles

No comments: