Friday, July 26, 2013

Recipe Swap: Shrimp, Black Bean, and Pineapple Foil Packets

Okay.  I need to GET ON THE BALL.  This pregnancy brain thing really sucks.  It's about 10:50PM on Thursday and this post is supposed to be going live at 7AM on Friday.  And I have had an ENTIRE MONTH to make and schedule it.  In all fairness, I did actually make my swap recipe a couple weeks ago.  It was the whole blog posting part that I've been putting off.  Sometimes, it just seems like so much work...but enough whining for now.  I'm just being a cranky 38 week pregnant lady :P.

Anyway, this is the What's Cooking recipe swap hosted by Sarah at A Taste of Home Cooking.  The theme is Grilled Foods and I received a recipe from Jenna at Jenna's Cooking Journey.  You may recognize her as the guest blogger that brought you these yummy Oatmeal Carmelitas awhile back.

As for this recipe, I've actually made it before but it didn't make it onto the blog.  The reason for that was that unlike the similar Foil Baked Fish with Black Beans and Corn recipe which I adore, this one just lacked flavor to me.  I only share recipes which I and/or my husband enjoy.  But as it was a swap recipe, I dutifully made it again.  And unfortunately, it fell flat for me, again.  I love pineapples and jalapeno peppers and shrimp.  It really should be a winner in theory but you can't win them all.  I don't know what's wrong with me...it seems to get such rave reviews by other bloggers!  Thanks anyway Jenna for having me give it another shot.  And dear readers, since so many others like it, you should probably give it a try for yourself  even if I didn't care for it :).

One Year Ago: Pasta with Grilled Plum Tomato Sauce and Magic in the Middles (peanut butter stuffed chocolate sugar cookies!)
Two Years Ago: Bob's Mexican Stuffed Chicken

Shrimp, Black Bean, and Pineapple Foil Packets


Shrimp, Black Bean, and Pineapple Foil Packets

Ingredients
  • 8 oz raw, medium sized shrimp (peeled, deveined) 
  • 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed 
  • 1 cup pineapple, finely chopped 
  • 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped 
  • 1/2-1 jalapeno pepper, minced (depending on the amount of spice you want) 
  • 2 tablespoons pineapple juice, divided 
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided 
  • pinch of salt 
  • freshly ground black pepper 
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro 
  • 1/2 avocado, diced
Directions
  1. Preheat grill to medium. 
  2. Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Set aside. 
  3. In a medium bowl, combine the black beans, pineapple, red onion, and jalapeno. Stir in 1 tablespoon pineapple juice, coriander, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin. 
  4. Spray two large pieces of aluminum foil with cooking spray. Spoon half of the black bean mixture into the center of each and top with half of the shrimp. Pour the remaining pineapple juice over the shrimp. Bring the edges of the foil together and fold down, sealing well. 
  5. Place the foil packets on the grill, cover, and cook for 10-12 minutes, until shrimp are opaque. Carefully open the foil packets and stir the contents. Top with the diced avocado and sprinkle with cilantro. 
Source: Jenna's Cooking Journey as modified from PreventionRD

PS: It's now going on 11:10PM.  See, these posts don't just write themselves, ya know!  Ah this blog is a labor of love :P.

4 comments:

kylee said...

It's a shame you didn't enjoy it!

Laura said...

Bummer that you didn't care for these. We love them!

Moviegirl03 said...

Sorry you didn't enjoy them. I like them because I thought they were something delicious and different to put on the grill. You can't win with every recipe though.

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy them. I've been wanting to try them for ages but shrimp are expensive where I live and I've never gotten around to it.