Monday, January 21, 2013

SRC: Microwave Streusel Topped French Toast in a Mug

Ah the microwave.  What did people do before they had this easy, quick cooking wonder?  Suddenly people that have no idea how to cook are enabled and empowered with this tool.  And sometimes, even more advanced chefs can use it to take the easy way out...kind of like how I did with this month's Secret Recipe Club pick from Alli 'N Son's.

Alli's blog includes a bit about baking, motherhood, and life with her boys.  I was touched when I read her PCOS story because it reminded me of my own struggle from last year when I had my miscarriage.  It's inspiring to read her story and see the success that she's had raising beautiful children.

As for the food, since she's a busy mama, a lot of the recipes that you'll find on her blog are kid friendly and quick along with a lot of sweets. Having just come off of the Holiday sugar high, I considered but then ultimately avoided decadent recipes like Peanut Butter Cup S'mores BarApple Pie Cinnamon Rolls, and Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake.  Instead, I tried to find something that I'd be able to fold into our regular dinner rotation.  I considered Grilled Cheese Waffle Sandwich and Peanut Sesame Noodles with Szechuan Style Tofu.  In the end, I had  recently made a  homemade Cinnamon Swirl Bread (recipe to be shared) which inspired the choice of Streusel Topped French Toast in a Mug.  Sweet but not overly so and still quite simple.  Hello brinner.

I've seen and pinned  many microwave recipes in the past but this was my first time actually *trying* it.  And wow was it delightfully good, fast, and simple!  The entire recipe was done in about 5 minutes and had the yummy french toast flavor covered in a sinful streusel topping.  The only thing I missed was the slight crispness that comes with real french toast.  But in a pinch or when you just want enough for a single serving (or two), this would definitely do.

Thank you to April of the blog Angel's Homestead SRC ring leader and Debbi of the blog Debbi Does Dinner, our Group C Hostess!  Please also check the blog hop to see what everyone else in Group C made this month!

One Year Ago: 2011 Recap: Reader Favorites
Two Years Ago: French Dip Sandwiches and Football Snackadium 
Three Years Ago: Chinese Bolo Bao with Nai Wong Filling (Pineapple Custard Buns) and Copycat Chipotle Burrito Bols

Microwave Streusel Topped French Toast in a Mug


Microwave Streusel Topped French Toast in a Mug

Ingredients

For the French Toast
  • 3-4 slices cinnamon swirl bread, depending on the size and thickness of your bread 
  • 1 large egg 
  • 3 tablespoons milk 
  • dash cinnamon 
  • drop or two vanilla extract or almond extract 
For the Streusel Topping
  • 1/2 tablespoon butter, cold 
  • 1 tablespoons flour 
  • 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar 
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
Instructions
  1. Spray a large mug or small bowl with nonstick spray. Set aside. Cube the bread into 1-inch pieces. Place in the prepared mug. 
  2. In a small bowl beat together the egg, milk, cinnamon and vanilla or almond extract with a fork. Pour over the bread. Stir together until all of the egg mixture has been absorbed by the bread. 
  3. To make the struesel topping: In a small bowl combine the butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Use your fingers to everything together. The mixture will resemble coarse sand. Sprinkle evenly on top of the bread mixture. 
  4. Microwave for 1 minute on high. Check and microwave in 10 second increments until the eggs are no longer runny. Let cool before enjoying.
Source: Alli 'N Sons

Secret Recipe Club

9 comments:

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

This is one of my all time favorite recipes. It looks like you used homemade cinnamon bread too, delish!

Melissa said...

What a delicious and easy looking breakfast! I can't wait to try it. Great pick :)

Veronica Miller said...

French toast in a mug? Sooo cool! And I'm sorry to hear of your miscarriage, that would be so terribly hard. We've been TTC for 8 years which is hard, but I think actually getting pregnant and losing one would be harder. I wish you much luck on your journey to parenthood.

Chelsy Ethridge said...

One of my fave breakfasts' of all time!

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet said...

What a cleaver and tasty dish! Glad to be part of SRC with you!

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet said...

What a cleaver dessert! Glad to be part of SRC with you.

Art From My Table said...

What a great idea! Quick and easy! I think my kids would love this too. Can't wait to try it.

Tandy said...

Oh, how delicious this sounds :)

Feast on the Cheap said...

This is genius! And looks so cozy on an arctic day like today....