Alli's blog includes a bit about baking, motherhood, and life with her boys. I was touched when I read her PCOS story because it reminded me of my own struggle from last year when I had my miscarriage. It's inspiring to read her story and see the success that she's had raising beautiful children.
As for the food, since she's a busy mama, a lot of the recipes that you'll find on her blog are kid friendly and quick along with a lot of sweets. Having just come off of the Holiday sugar high, I considered but then ultimately avoided decadent recipes like Peanut Butter Cup S'mores Bar, Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls, and Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake. Instead, I tried to find something that I'd be able to fold into our regular dinner rotation. I considered Grilled Cheese Waffle Sandwich and Peanut Sesame Noodles with Szechuan Style Tofu. In the end, I had recently made a homemade Cinnamon Swirl Bread (recipe to be shared) which inspired the choice of Streusel Topped French Toast in a Mug. Sweet but not overly so and still quite simple. Hello brinner.
I've seen and pinned many microwave recipes in the past but this was my first time actually *trying* it. And wow was it delightfully good, fast, and simple! The entire recipe was done in about 5 minutes and had the yummy french toast flavor covered in a sinful streusel topping. The only thing I missed was the slight crispness that comes with real french toast. But in a pinch or when you just want enough for a single serving (or two), this would definitely do.
Thank you to April of the blog Angel's Homestead SRC ring leader and Debbi of the blog Debbi Does Dinner, our Group C Hostess! Please also check the blog hop to see what everyone else in Group C made this month!
One Year Ago: 2011 Recap: Reader Favorites
Two Years Ago: French Dip Sandwiches and Football Snackadium
Three Years Ago: Chinese Bolo Bao with Nai Wong Filling (Pineapple Custard Buns) and Copycat Chipotle Burrito Bols
Microwave Streusel Topped French Toast in a Mug
For the French Toast
- 3-4 slices cinnamon swirl bread, depending on the size and thickness of your bread
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- dash cinnamon
- drop or two vanilla extract or almond extract
- 1/2 tablespoon butter, cold
- 1 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Spray a large mug or small bowl with nonstick spray. Set aside. Cube the bread into 1-inch pieces. Place in the prepared mug.
- In a small bowl beat together the egg, milk, cinnamon and vanilla or almond extract with a fork. Pour over the bread. Stir together until all of the egg mixture has been absorbed by the bread.
- To make the struesel topping: In a small bowl combine the butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Use your fingers to everything together. The mixture will resemble coarse sand. Sprinkle evenly on top of the bread mixture.
- Microwave for 1 minute on high. Check and microwave in 10 second increments until the eggs are no longer runny. Let cool before enjoying.