I assure you that anybody can make this dish and leftovers taste even better the next day or freeze beautifully for a quick freezer meal. It's so easy even my college-aged brother can do it. Plop meat, liquids, and seasonings into crockpot in the morning. Turn on low to cook all day. Drive your cutie pie dog nuts with the delicious beefy aroma as it slowly cooks in the juices. Split a hoagie roll and slather some mayo and spices on one side. Add shredded beef from crockpot and top with cheese. If desired, make it all toasty by using your broiler. Dip in delicious au jus and let the deliciousness melt in your mouth.
I'm adding this recipe into my rotation and you should, too. It got the stamp of approval from my husband AND father-in-law who now attempts to stop by on the weekends to help around the house in exchange for a nice home cooked lunch.
One Year Ago: Copycat Chipotle Burrito Bols and Corn and Avocado Salsa
French Dip Sandwiches
Yields: 4 Sandwiches
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped bay leaves
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (I use low sodium to cut the saltiness)
- 3 cups water
- 4 hoagie rolls or french bread, cut in half horizontally
- 4 slices provolone cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- light mayonnaise
- dried parsley*
- dried thyme*
- dried basil*
- Place meat in crock pot. Sprinkle with garlic, rosemary and bay leaves. Add in soy sauce and water. Cover and cook on low for 6-10 hours until the meat is tender and is easily pulled away with a fork.
- To assemble the sandwiches: Take bottom piece of your bread roll & add the meat. Top with cheese. On top half of the roll spread a thin layer of mayonnaise and sprinkle with dried herbs. If desired place open faced sandwich in oven and broil until bun is lightly toasted and cheese is melted and bubbly. Place top half on top of sandwich.
- If desired, skim the fat off the top of the au jus remaining in crockpot. Then, place some of the au jus into a small bowl and serve with sandwiches for dipping.