I also have had this recipe saved since *2012* specifically to post on the next World Nutella Day. But dang, apparently I need a reminder on my phone or something to help me remember when it comes around each year! So instead of making you wait yet another year for sharing this recipe, I'm sharing it a day late. Because better late than never, right?
Brace yourself for surprise smooth nutella goodness enveloped in a vanilla cookie...yum!
Vanilla Cookies with Nutella Filling
- ½ cup (220g) nutella (I used homemade nutella!)
- 10 Tbsp. (140g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cup (250g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- Line a small baking sheet with wax paper or silicone baking mat.
- Transfer the nutella to a small plastic bag. Cut off one corner of the plastic bag and gently squeeze the nutella out onto the wax paper or baking mat into 24 evenly-sized chips. Place the baking sheet in the freezer until the nutella is firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a baking sheet with butter, cooking spray, or line with another silicone baking mat.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and stir with a spoon until fully incorporated. Divide the dough into 24 even balls and flatten each into a disk.
- Remove the frozen nutella chips from the freezer. Working quickly, press each chip into one ball of dough and roll the dough into a ball around the nutella. Place the cookie dough balls 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake, just until the edges start to turn slightly golden, 6-8 minutes (keep an eye on them towards the end – do NOT overbake these). Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Source: Slightly modified from Inquiring Chef