Monday, October 7, 2013

Meatless Monday: Tomato Florentine Soup

Fall is here.  I think?  It has been surprisingly warm and humid here in Ohio recently.  But this past week there was a cool, rainy day and I thought hey.  Soup's on for dinner!

I'm a sucker for a good homemade soup and with the baby, I need to be even more choosy with the meals that I make and the ones that I spend time to write about to share on my blog.  This one is worth it.  It's quick to come together, full of tomatoey flavor, and quite nutritious from a healthy dose of spinach.  Part of me thinks that my son is so strong because of all that spinach, kale, and chard that I ate while pregnant!

I don't think I have to tell you that tomato soup goes well with grilled cheese, right?  Still, I have another delicious sandwich suggestion that I'll be sharing later this week...

This soup is best fresh because the pasta will suck up the soup as it sits overnight.  I was shocked at how much my ditalini pasta swelled when I tried to reheat it the next day.  It was still good but benefited from the addition of extra broth (or water) to make it soupy again.  Still, nothing can fix that, slightly-too-mushy pasta texture.  So yes, eat up my friends!  (I ate 3 bowls...)

One Year Ago: Southern Comfort (Drunken) Caramel Apple Pie, Banana Pumpkin Nutella Bread, and Breakfast Skillet
Two Years Ago: Pumpkin Pecan Loaf and Brown Sugar Spice Cutout Cookies with Maple Icing
Four Years Ago: Sugary Sweet Chili

Tomato Florentine Soup



Ingredients
  • 2 TBSP unsalted butter 
  • 1 (14.5 oz) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained and juice reserved 
  • 1 (28 oz) can sliced stewed tomatoes, drained and juice reserved
  • 1 medium onion, chopped fine 
  • 1 TBSP packed brown sugar 
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (or to taste) 
  • 2 rounded TBSP all-purpose flour 
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 4-5 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth (adjust the liquid amount depending on how "soupy" you like your soup to be!)
  • 4 oz (1 cup) small macaroni, ditalini, tubettini, or other small shaped pasta
  • 10 oz (10 cups) fresh baby spinach 
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions
  1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add tomatoes and onion and cook until the tomatoes get dry and begin to brown, about 10-12 minutes.  
  2. Add brown sugar, red pepper flakes, flour, and garlic.  Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Slowly whisk in the broth and reserved tomato juice, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps as you go.
  3. Stir in the pasta and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until pasta is tender, about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 1-2 minutes.  Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as desired.
Source: Slightly modified from Pink Parsley as adapted from The America's Test Kitchen Quick Family Cookbook

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks simple and delicious. My kind of recipe!