Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Hawaiian Roll Ham and Swiss Sliders

These sandwiches have circulated the internet since the beginning of time.  Okay.  Maybe not really but it sure seems like it.  I cannot tell you how many times I have seen them appear on other blogs and always with rave reviews.  I bookmarked this or similar recipes more times than I can count.  So what made me finally break down and make them?  Actually *tasting* them for myself when my cousin-in-law Mandy made them for her annual pool party.

They were like little bites of soft-but-slightly-crunchy buttery Heaven melting in my mouth.  Sweet, salty, delicious.  My husband and I tried to limit ourselves at the party because there weren't that many but when I made it at home?  All bets were off.  The fact that it was doused in butter didn't matter because it just tasted too good.  We devoured three sandwiches each!

Oh and have you ever passionately disliked an ingredient?  Like...pretended to be "allergic" to it because you so vehemently hated it?  My husband is this way with mustard.  He claims that the mere sight or smell of it will make him throw up.  He literally closes his eyes if I'm eating something with visible mustard next to him.  Honey, I'm so sorry to tell you that these sandwiches that you loved so much and even got excited all over again when you saw me photo editing this for my blog...these contain...mustard.

I always feel so guilty and devious when I try to "sneak" forbidden ingredients into our meals but it just goes to show you that what you don't know won't hurt you!  Plus, it'll be great practice for when I have to hide veggies and such in Alex's food ;).

One Year Ago: Chicken Marsala Risotto
Two Years Ago: Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Hawaiian Roll Ham and Swiss Sliders



Ingredients
  • 12 Hawaiian sweet dinner rolls 
  • 1 pound thinly sliced deli sandwich ham (preferably honey baked or brown sugar)
  • 6 slices Swiss cheese, cut in half
  • 1/2 c butter, melted 
  • 1 Tbsp poppy seeds 
  • 1 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce 
  • 1 1/2 tsp brown or dijon mustard 
  • 1 tsp onion powder
Directions

  1. Slice the rolls in half to form a bun and place bottoms in baking pan. Layer ham (I folded each slice into quarters and used 2 slices on each roll) and cheese halves on rolls. Replace tops. 
  2. Combine butter, poppy seeds, mustard,Worcestershire, and onion powder and mix well. Drizzle over rolls. Refrigerate until butter is firm or overnight. 
  3. Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until cheese melts. Uncover and cook for 2 additional minutes. Serve warm or cold.
Source: Just a Pinch Recipes

No comments: