Friday, August 19, 2011

Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro Crema

Tomorrow, I'm going to check something off of my bucket list.  I'm going whitewater rafting!!  I'm incredibly excited for this trip and glad I was finally able to make it on my friend Vanessa's annual trip.  There are 18 of us going to a huge 9BR/9BA cabin and then 16 going rafting.  We'll be spending a full day going down the Lower New River (dubbed the Grand Canyon of the East) which is Class I - V.  I have ZERO experience and was told that even though some of these rapids are almost the most challenging class possible, this run is suitable for beginners.  Pray that I come back intact in one piece and don't end up swimming with the fishies too much!

That brings me to my recipe for today.  Fish!  I previously posted a recipe for fish tacos and they're both quite nice.  What makes this recipe stand out is the Lime-Cilantro Crema.  Don't skip that.  The contrasting cool and fresh flavor is outstanding!  I was also excited to use my cabbage and tomatoes to top these tacos.

PS:  I just realized 3 recipes I've posted this month have cilantro in them.  Clearly I'm on a cilantro kick.  I just LOVE the unique flavor!  For those that aren't fans, you can leave it out.  And, just for you, I promise my next post won't have cilantro in it :).


Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro Crema
Printer-Friendly Version


Yield: 4 servings (2 tacos each).

Ingredients

For the Crema
  • 1/4 cup (about 3) green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 3 Tbsp low-fat mayonnaise (I used unflavored Greek yogurt)
  • 3 Tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1 tsp lime rind, grated
  • 1 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
For the Tacos
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 lbs mahi mahi fillets (I used tilapia)
  • Cooking spray
  • 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • 2 cups cabbage, shredded
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
  2. To prepare crema, combine the first 8 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
  3. To prepare tacos, combine cumin and next 5 ingredients (through garlic powder) in a small bowl; sprinkle spice mixture evenly over both sides of fish. Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes or until fish flakes easily. Break fish into pieces with a fork. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide fish evenly among tortillas; top each with 1/4 cup cabbage and 1 tablespoon crema.
Source: Cooking Light, December 2006 as adapted by and seen on Prevention RD

Nutrition Information (per serving): 323 calories; 7 g. fat; 124 mg. cholesterol; 401 mg. sodium; 28.5 g. carbohydrate; 3.3 g. fiber; 35.5 g. protein

No comments: