Thursday, August 4, 2011

Five-Minute (Healthy) Chunky Monkey "Ice Cream"

Did you catch some key words in that title?  It's healthy.  And it only takes 5 minutes.  And, if you closed your eyes, you'd think you were eating the richest custard-style ice cream.  But it's NOT really ice cream!

I'd heard of using frozen bananas for a quick ice cream before but had never gotten around to try it.  The moment I saw this recipe show up on Pennies on a Platter's website I knew I had to make it.  And, judging by the number of times it was pinned on Pinterest, everyone else had the same idea!  Seriously.  Go take a peek at that photo and tell me you didn't immediately start drooling all over your keyboard.  Yeah, that's what I thought.

What gave me that last push to decide to make this tonight (and post the recipe in the SAME NIGHT...very rare!!) was my friend Linda's suggestion to do iced treats.  And, I needed something to cool me off after a hard, sweaty session of Jazzercise!  L.O.V.E.D this and will be making it more often!  I had to put down my spoon to avoid eating it all in a single sitting :P.

Go freeze some bananas so you can make this in an hour or two!  If you hurry, you can still make it tonight.  Or, if not then maybe for breakfast?  It is, after all, bananas ;).

Five-Minute (Healthy) Chunky Monkey "Ice Cream"

Five-Minute (Healthy) Chunky Monkey "Ice Cream"
 
Ingredients
  • 3 peeled and chopped, then frozen, bananas (I think this would work best if they are frozen in a single layer or somehow broken up manually first...I had trouble getting my blender to break up the big chunk!)
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
  • Handful of chocolate chunks
  • 2 Tablespoons peanut butter or Nutella (optional)
Directions
  1. Puree the bananas in a food processor or blender until smooth.  Personally I love using my Cuisinart Smart Stick with the Chopper Attachment.  Blend and eat out of the same bowl!  Add the walnuts and chocolate chunks and pulse until mixed in.  Stir in the peanut butter or Nutella, if desired.  Top with extra yummy stuff like walnuts, chocolate chunks, and peanut butter chips if desired.  Serve immediately or freeze for later consumption.  It will be like soft serve initially but left to frozen it will harden up like regular ice cream.
Source: As seen on and adapted by Pennies on a Platter from Kitchen Simplicity

3 comments:

Alida said...

I love the simple list of ingredients. Haven't tried making the banana "ice cream" yet, but will definitely be trying it soon with this recipe. Yum!

Jeffrey said...

Wow Christine. I just tried this and it is blowing me and Jackie's mind on how ice-cream like this is... Aside from the nutella and heath bar chunks we used, it's all healthy!!!! This is definitely a keeper :) Sorry banana bread, we have a new use for those ripe bananas

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles said...

@Alida - Trust me, you'll enjoy it!

@Jeff - It blew my mind, too. If you google there are healthier versions that just include cocoa powder for chocolate flavored (or cocoa plus a bit of PB). Yum!