Sunday, January 10, 2010

Herb Breaded Tilapia

For whatever reason I had a craving for fish and I remembered I had this recipe bookmarked for awhile now.  This recipe was nice as it was designed for 2 people (I almost always have to either scale things down or save lefteovers).  I was hesitant because the fish is pan fried and I never use more than say a Tablspoon of oil when I fry things.  This one called for a pan full of oil!  I went with it anyway and I'm glad I did because the end result was a crunchy crust with a beautifully flaky fish beneath.  Chris said it tasted like fish sticks...silly boy.  It's much more gourmet than that!  Worthy of sharing with company.

I forgot to get a picture this time so please enjoy Elly's for now.

Herb Breaded Tilapia
Printer-Friendly Version



















Ingredients
  • 2 tilapia fillets
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1 lemon, divided
  • 1/3 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 Tbsp, fresh chopped parsley
  • 2 tsp. fresh chopped thyme
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Directions
  1. Season the tilapia with salt and pepper and then dredge in the flour, shaking off any excess.
  2. Lightly beat an egg in a small baking dish or bowl and mix in the juice of half the lemon. In another dish, combine the breadcrumbs, parsley, thyme, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Dip the floured tilapia first in the egg, and then into the breadcrumb mixture, coating evenly and pressing to adhere if necessary.
  4. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat, and add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Once hot (if you flick a little piece of the breadcrumb mixture in there and it bubbles/sizzles, you’re good to go), add the tilapia. Cook for approximately 3 minutes per side, or until fish is cooked through and flakes with a fork.
  5. Cut the remaining half lemon into wedges and serve alongside the tilapia.
Source: Elly Says Opa!

No comments: