Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Recipe Swap Rewind: Roasted Sweet Potato Coins with Pancetta and Chives

I think I've figured out why May is like a recipe desert (yes, desert, not dessert...which has 2 s because you always want seconds of those!) around here.  May historically is a time of madness in my household:
  • For the past few years we've gone to Europe for 2 weeks in May
  • My Sister and Father-in-Law's birthdays are in May
  • Our Anniversary is in May (today is our 3rd Anniversary, actually!)
  • We "adopted" our dog Toby in May, AND 
  • My birthday is at the beginning of June so the preparation is in...you guessed it, MAY.
It's no wonder that I've kept with previous years' trends and sort of dropped off the face of the Earth and not blogged much.  

I'm still trying to keep up with the recipe swaps and my last one was another from Jey of Cooking.  With the theme being Vegetarian I knew it'd be a gamble but I went for it anyway.  She sent me her Pineapple Fried Quinoa with Honey Ginger Soy Marinated Tofu.  I felt horrible because when I read the ingredients, I knew there was no way in heck that my husband would eat it as written and I had already skipped a recipe from her blog last time due to lack of time to cook..  He doesn't eat tofu (or "estrogen cakes" as he calls them), eggs (that look/small like eggs), and would have no idea what quinoa is.  I thought about modifying it to meet our needs but then it would in no way resemble her original recipe.  So, I simply just did not participate this round.  If that recipe sounds like your thing, feel free to try it thought and let me know what you thought!

To help my conscience feel better, today, I'd do a recipe rewind for you.  Since I missed making Jey's Sweet Potato Coins with Pancetta and Chives before vacation in April, I got the opportunity to do so when we got home and am sharing it now.  They were really delicious but honestly, I would have preferred to skip the sour cream (which, I did on some in order to make them Chris-consumable...are you noticing a trend here?).  Of course, then I'm not sure that the other delicious toppings would really stay on...minor detail.  The real star was the roasted sweet potatoes anyway.  I loved the way they tasted and should roast them more often!

One Year Ago: Buckeyes
Two Years Ago: Garlic Cheddar Chicken

Sweet Potato Coins with Pancetta and Chives
Printer-Friendly Version

 
Ingredients
  • 2 Sweet Potatoes
  • 6 Clementines, juiced (or other citrus juice equivalent to about 1 cup)
  • 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
  • 2 Slices Pancetta (I used bacon)
  • 1/2 to 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
  • 4-5 Chives, snipped (I used green onions)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Cut sweet potatoes into thick rounds.  Toss with clementine juice and brown sugar. Transfer potato coins to a parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake for one hour, flipping once halfway through.
  3. Meanwhile, cook the pancetta over medium low heat until cooked.  Crumble and set aside.
  4. Remove potatoes from oven and let cool 5 minutes.  Transfer to a serving platter.
  5. Put sour cream into a piping bag with a decorative tip (or a plastic baggie with a corner snipped.)  Pipe onto coins and top with pancetta and chives.
Source: Jey of Cooking

No comments: