Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Bloggers Bake for Hope: Let the Bidding Begin!

Hi friends!  In the spirit of paying things forward, I decided at the 11th hour to participate in a virtual bake sale fundraiser.  It's called Blogger's Bake for HopeBake for Hope is a week long, nation-wide, 100% volunteer-run, bake sale event happening, the week leading up to Mother's Day. Proceeds donated to local Susan G. Komen for the Cure affiliates.

Bloggers Bake for Hope is a virtual bake sale. Bloggers donate their time, ingredients, and shipping costs so there are no expenses associated with this virtual bake sale. All proceeds from the bake sale will be sent to the Massachusetts Komen for the Cure.

Jen and Cara, two Boston area food bloggers and fellow What's Cooking Nesties have teamed up for a project called Bloggers Bake for Hope, a virtual bake sale as part of Bake for Hope. Jen serves up sweets at Beantown Baker, while Cara shares healthy, creative dinners at Cara’s Cravings.

The virtual bake sale will take place on May 4-6, 2011. Bloggers and bakers from across the country will agree in advance to donate baked goods. Buyers will make virtual pledges on the Bloggers Bake for Hope site, and at the close of the bake sale the highest bidders will be awarded the donated baked goods. They will make their donations via PayPal, and the bakers will then bake and ship their goods. Because the bakers are donating their ingredients, time, and shipping costs, there are no expenses associated with the virtual bake sale. 100% of the proceeds will be donated to the Massachusetts Komen for the Cure. Jen and Cara are challenging their fellow bakers and bloggers to help them raise $2000 through Bloggers Bake for Hope.

I wasn't sure what to contribute to the bake sale or if I should even participate.  I mean, how embarrassing would it be if nobody bid on my item?   And, I've never shipped cookies before so what if they all arrive broken or something?  The latter was easier to grasp.  There are so many resources on how to ship cookies it's a bit overwhelming but I'll figure it out.  As for whether I should join in the sale and what to bake.  Well, that was taken care of by polling my fans on my blog facebook page.  The answer of what to bake was clear by a 2-to-1 margin!  Grasshopper Cookie Bars.



Unfortunately after reading elsewhere on the website my assumption that as long as I submitted before the sale began was wrong and I realized that I missed the submission deadline (4/30) :(.  So, you won't be able to bid on these babies in this virtual bake sale.  Still, please visit Blogger's Bake for Hope and bid on the MANY delicious baked goods for sale!  I have my eye on the truffles and Cara's rice crispies.  What about you?

PS: I'll still take orders on those Grasshopper Cookie Bars and anything else if anyone's interested. ;)

No comments: