Saturday, November 7, 2009

Marinara Magnifica

Wow!  I totally get why they call this "magnifica"! It is magnificent!  This just might become my new go-to sauce and I'm excited that this turned out so well given my recent fudge failure.  What's even better is the fact that I got a lot of the tomato supplies for cheap during the Kroger Megasale :).  Sometimes I think I must have been Italian in a previous life because I LOVE Italian food so much!  This recipe makes a lot of sauce so in addition to eating it in it's yummy pure form over noodles, be prepared to either use it in recipes in place of jarred sauce or freezing it.  I'm thinking about using this on my Manicotti and maybe also some Chicken Parmesan this upcoming week...mmmm salivating just thinking about it.

I used a 2003 Shiraz for the wine (compliments of Justin from when Chris moved into the CONDO!...yeah, it's that old...because we don't exactly drink wine!  I literally had to dust it off from the shelf and then had to get Chris to help uncork it because I had NO idea what I was doing haha!) and probably added a splash more than what the recipe called for.  I know nothing about wine but from what I understand, any red wine will do as long as it is dry.  Sweet will also work but isn't ideal because it will impart a different flavor, I guess.  Carmelizing the onions?  Heavenly.  I also added an extra dash of basil, red pepper, and of course more garlic...but it's a personal preference and I think this recipe actually would have been great without my additions.

Here are some ways you can use your Marinara Magnifica:
Marinara Magnifica
Printer-Friendly Version
Yield: 9 cups (serving size: 1 cup)


















Photo Credit: Cooking Light





 Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 6 cups chopped onion (about 3 medium)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine
  • 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 6 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
Directions
  1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large stock pot over medium heat; add onion and sugar. Cook 30 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally.
  2. Stir in wine; cook 1 minute.
  3. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Nutritional Information
  • Calories:169 (20% from fat)
  • Fat:3.8g (sat 0.5g,mono 2.3g,poly 0.6g)
  • Protein:5.3g
  • Carbohydrate:30.9g
  • Fiber:6.5g
  • Cholesterol:0.0mg
  • Iron:2.9mg
  • Sodium:960mg
  • Calcium:131mg
Source: Cooking Light, August 2004

No comments: