Friday, August 31, 2012

Strawberry Buttermilk Ice Cream

Summer just really wouldn't be complete without ice cream.  I gave my facebook fans a chance to pick which recipe I would post today and Jaida of Sweet Beginnings voted for the dessert option while my normally sweets-loving friend Brenda wanted me to do the savory entree.  Secretly though, I think Brenda wanted to see the dessert recipe first, too.  And seeing as it is Friday, I thought it would be nice to close out this week's posting with a dessert, just like you would with a multi-course meal.

I made this recipe for my friend JJ's birthday.  He had recently been in Japan for an extended business trip and one of his first weekends back was his birthday.  Knowing that he probably wouldn't have food at home nor go shopping or even cook for awhile (because he's a bachelor), I gave him some food as a welcome home gift the night we picked him up from the airport.  This ice cream was my birthday "present" to him.  I chose it because he loves ice cream and he always asked me in the past to make him homemade strawberry ice cream.

How was it, you ask?  I loved the added tang from the buttermilk.  It really complemented the fresh fruit flavor.  To be honest, I kind of didn't want to give him the ice cream once I had tried it.  This one is a keeper!

Strawberry Buttermilk Ice Cream


Strawberry Buttermilk Ice Cream

Ingredients

  • 3/4 lb strawberries, hulled and sliced
  • 3/4 cup sugar, divided
  • 1 Tbsp kirsch or vodka (optional)
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 6 egg yolks, lightly whisked in a medium bowl
  • 1 cup buttermilk
Directions
  1. Before you start, make sure you freeze your ice cream maker overnight.
  2. Combine the strawberries, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and kirsch or vodka (if using) in a medium bowl.  Set aside and let the sugars cause the strawberries to soften and release the juices, about 1/2 hour.
  3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, scald the cream and dissolve the remaining 1/2 cup sugar.  Pour a bit of the cream mixture into the lightly whisked yolk to temper (or warm) the eggs.  Add the remaining hot cream, whisking constantly to combine.  Pour the custard mixture back into the saucepan.  Cook custard until just thickened, whisking constantly, about 4-5 minutes.  Using a fine wire mesh, strain the custard into a medium bowl.
  4. In a blender, puree the macerated strawberry mixture until smooth.
  5. Combine the custard mixture and the pureed strawberries.  Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least two hours but ideally overnight.
  6. Just before churning, add the cup of cold buttermilk and stir to combine.  Churn the ice cream according to your manufacturers instructions.  For a harder, more scoopable consistency, transfer ice cream to a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 1 hour before serving.
Source: As adapted by and seen on Stresscake from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

2 comments:

Brenda Fuentes said...

I didn't want to be tempted to make & eat the ice cream instead of the veggies :) then again, strawberries are fruit...

Janie said...

That looks so so good - I really need to get an ice cream maker!

Thanks for sharing on last week's Tasty Thursday